Chapter 12

"Pathetic!" A strong voice growled harshly into Shiverpaw's ear. She flinched from under him, his paws pushed on her neck. She thrashed around trying to get out but his claws clung to her fur.
    "Falconclaw that's enough." Shiverpaw breathed when Falconclaw pulled back and let her stand up.
    "Snowstar she's completely incompetent. She can't fight at all." Falconclaw mewed to the leader who was watching the training.
    "A cat learning is only as good as the cat teaching. All you've shown me is that I might have to reconsider her mentor. If all you're doing to teach her is attacking she's not going to learn anything. Teach her defence moves rather than expecting her to be able to defend herself instantly. If we expect these things from them what is the point of giving them mentors." Snowstar mewed, obviously annoyed.
    "She should learn by instinct. Cats have to rely on instinct." 
    "You will teach her to fight. She attacks now. You defend. Shiverpaw." Snowstar dipped her head respectfully to Shiverpaw, expecting her to attack. Falconclaw growled at being reprimanded by the leader. Shiverpaw didn't want to attack him now. He looked even more dangerous when mad. She swiped out a paw to hit him but he easily jumped out of the way. Shiverpaw leaped after swiping a few times, she landed behind him, kicking out her hind leg as she landed knocking it hard into Falconclaw's leg. It buckled under him from the force of the blow and he landed awkwardly on his side. Shiverpaw took her moment and pushed her paws into his flank to keep him from getting up.
    "Come on Shiverpaw. Use your claws," Falconclaw whispered to her. Snowstar eyes pricked up noticing Falconclaw talking, "Real warriors use their claws." Shiverpaw shook her head and got off.
    "Good job Shiverpaw. I think I must reconsider your mentor though. For now I would like to put off your training." Snowstar said. Shiverpaw bowed her head in agreement.
    "Are you crazy? She needs to be trained. I am the most qualified to be her mentor. You expect Mossfur to train her? No." Falconclaw growled.
    "Falconclaw take a walk." Snowstar hissed.
    "What. N-" Falconclaw started to argue.
    "Falconclaw." Snowstar growled. Falconclaw stopped talking and with a sigh walked off. "Ok Shiverpaw. What's your opinion? I've seen the way you limp into camp after training. I've been trying to set up this meeting for awhile. Is he a good mentor?" Shiverpaw opened her mouth as to answer but she paused to think. Falconclaw will get angry..
    "Of course he's a good mentor." She said finally while shaking.
"Are you sure? Fernblossom says you come in with scratched often. She's concerned." Snowstar said. Her eyes shown with disbelief and concern.
"Yes. Falconclaw may be difficult but I'm learning a lot."
"Are you learning the right things though? Falconclaw is telling you to use your claws during training. I heard him."
"He just wants me to be ready for real battles. I can't be just training forever. Sooner or later I will get into battle and need to know how to use my claws. Really he's a great mentor.." Shiverpaw confirms. Snowstar nodded.
"Ok. If you believe he is a good mentor... I guess he can remain your mentor for the time being. I will be paying close attention to your training though."
"No need." Shiverpaw mewed noticing Falconclaw watching from the grass. Falconclaw was nodding his approval. Snowstar nodded and went off to camp.
"I almost believe you meant that Shiverpaw. Good job." Falconclaw purred coming out to stand beside her. "I'm impressed by your acting." Shiverpaw shuddered at his praise.
"I know how much you want this."
"You're right. I want to become leader soon and I can't if i've never had an apprentice. I'll be a great leader. Even better than Snowstar." Falconclaw boasted. Shiverpaw nodded and froze when she spotted two cats coming towards them. After a moment she recognized the cats as Iceclaw and Stormclaw.
"You get to keep mentoring?" Iceclaw asked.
"We just saw Snowstar trail back to camp. Shiverpaw wasn't with her so we assume that means you are still her mentor." Stromclaw meowed.
"Yeah. I'm still a mentor." Falconclaw hisses. Shiverpaw realizes they have forgotten she was there and listened closely.
"I'm thinking tonight we get rid of Snowstar," Stormclaw began, "Once i'm leader i'll make you my deputy and Iceclaw will be right by our side."
Shiverpaw backs away and leaves slowly and unnoticed. After being far enough from view and runs towards the camp almost crashing into Fernblossom.
"Slow down Shiverpaw. What's going on?" Fernblossom asked quickly.
"Sto- Falc- Ice-" Shiverpaw panted unable to get their full names out.
"What? I don't understand?" Fernblossom meowed.
"They plan to get rid of Snowstar." Shiverpaw hissed, She felt beyond angry at the betrayal.
"I don't what you mean. All cats are completely loyal to Snowstar." Fernblossom dismissed the apprentice's warning and walked out of camp. Shiverpaw felt her fur prick up in fear and anger. If Fernblossom won't believe me who will? She quickly found Mossfur and Bumbleheart who nodded hello and left in a rush without hearing her out. Her ears pricked as she heard the familiar voice of Falconclaw entering the camp. A moment later Iceclaw and Stormclaw followed. She crept to the apprentice den silently and found Hailpaw taking a nap.
"Shiverpaw? Are you ok?" Hailpaw asked waking up slowly.
"Stormclaw plans on killing Snowstar to become leader. Falconclaw and Iceclaw are in on it. We have to get help but Fernblossom doesn't believe me and Bumbleheart and Mossfur won't listen." Shiverpaw breathed out. Her paws gave out under her and she lay shaking in fear.
"Well if our clan won't help we will have to get help from another clan." Hailpaw suggested.
"We have to hurry. They plan on doing it tonight and it's already sunset." Shiverpaw panicked. Hailpaw nodded and with a light help Shiverpaw and him ran off in the direction of fourtrees.