The Teacher (2016)

The Teacher

Directed by: Jan Hřebejk

Genre/s: Drama/Comedy 

  A middle school teacher manipulates her student's parents into doing favours for her in exchange for previews of test questions and good grades for their children.  

I watched this a couple of weeks ago, so I have forgotten a few things but let's get this overdue review rolling:

So you know how some movies start by saying "Based on a true story", you watch it, and afterwards wonder, "Was it really based on a true story?" Well, this movie was based on actual things that happened so it is accurate in most parts. It's set in the Cold War in Czechoslovakia (which is now disbanded), so before watching it, I highly recommend learning about what life was like/what was going on then because otherwise, you might be very confused (especially at the end).

The movie is a bit confusing, especially at the start, if you are not used to the format the movie uses. It's a series of flashbacks which lead into the next discussion that the parents have at the meeting. 

Each character has a certain skill which is shown in the film and how the teacher manipulates the parents/students. This is an unfortunate thing that actually happened and still happened after the revolution.

The end isn't much of a plot twist unless you knew what it was like (no spoilers). The music score-- while a little bit repetitive-- is nice.

TL; DR:

A very good movie that I would highly recommend. It is all in Slovak (if you understand Czech you should be fine), so put on subtitles.

A/N: So as you can see, my review style has changed. I will probably only use this style if the movie isn't a sequel/part of a series etc, but I might stick to this one more, as it feels much better. That being said, I'm not going to change all the other reviews. Have a good day/night :)