Chapter 5

"Now she's got baggage on her shoulder. But the new guy really loves her, she loves him but she doesn't trust herself anymore."

•••

After school everyone was busy, so I went to see if I could hang out with Sweet Pea. Before I could text him, I got a call from Toni.

"Toni, hey."

"Are you busy?"

"No, why?"

"Come hang out with us at the White Wyrm." I chewed my lip.

"Toni I don't know."

"Come on. I need the female company. And it's too early for anything crazy to happen so we can just do homework or talk. Sweet Pea is here." I blushed then sighed.

"Fine, text me the directions."

"Yay, see you soon." She said then hung up. I managed to get a ride home from one of my classmates, then from there, daddy let me borrow his car. I followed the directions to the south side of town where the place was.

I pulled up and seen serpents everywhere. As I got out the car, they all stared at me. I paid them no mind and walked inside. Toni noticed me and called me over to and table where her, Fangs, and Sweet Pea were. I walked over and was greeted with a smile and a hug from Sweet Pea. I greeted the other two and sat down. We all worked on homework and made conversation.

"So we bring northerners here now?" Some guy asked walking up to the table with two other big guys behind him.

"Calm down Tall Boy, she's our friend." Toni said.

"Friend? She's not your friend, she's just like everyone else up there. They see us as lowlife trash. She most likely feels bad for you or is just here for intel."

"Intel on what?" Sweet Pea asked.

"Whatever they're spewing against us." He said crossing his arms.

"Look, if it's such a big deal I'll go." I said packing my stuff up.

"And for the record Tall Boy I happen to enjoy their company. Not everyone on the north side is the same." I pulled my book bag over my shoulder and waved at them before walking out.

"Angie wait!" I heard Sweet Pea call out. I turned to face him.

"I'm sorry about him, he's just-"

"No I get it. He's just looking out for you guys. It's okay." I smiled slightly. He nodded.

"Hey, you think you could give me a ride?" He asked. I nodded.

"Sure." We walked over to my dad's truck and got in. I drove off and towards the trailer park.

"So me and my friend Betty are planning this thing at Pop's to show that Pop's is still a safe, happy and friendly place like it use to be." He nodded.

"Everyone has good memories from that diner." He said while looking out the window. I nodded agreeing.

"Do you?" I asked. He nodded.

"What is it then. If you don't mind sharing." He was quiet for a minute.

"It was you. That's where I met you for the first time, and I'm glad I did." My heart sped up and my cheeks flushed. We eventually pulled up to his trailer. He didn't get out and neither of us said anything. I decided to break the silence.

"So you'll swing by the diner tomorrow?" He smirked.

"Will you be working?" I chuckled slightly.