Part Two/"Deathwalk"

The next day I woke up with my stomach feeling like a stress ball someone was squeezing. Taking a deep breath, I searched through my drawers for the perfect audition outfit. Loose, comfy black pants and an oversized red flannel- perfect! Today I was prioritizing comfort and familiarity, but still with a touch of color. Red was said to be lucky and I needed all the luck I could get!

On the drive to school I went over the monologue. "I am not of your world but I know of you. Because everywhere I go in the universe, everyone is the same." If only that were true.

Slamming the car door shut, I ran inside school, barely making it to homeroom before class started. All day my mind wandered despite my efforts to pay attention in class.

"Sophie?" Mrs. Murphy raised an eyebrow, "Would you care to repeat what I just announced to the class?"

"Oh!" I cried hurriedly, startled as my silent monologue was interrupted. "Of course! You said... the... quiz..." I checked her reaction, she seemed irritated but was reluctantly agreeing to what I was babbling about. My eyes slid to the whiteboard behind her. It read "QUIZ ON FRIDAY" in big purple text. "The quiz is on Friday." I finished lamely, anxiously clicking the ballpoint pen I held in my hand.

Mrs. Murphy gave a small nod of approval. "That is correct, Miss Douglas. But next time, please recite it from memory and not the board." Winking, she turned away to hand out math worksheets, leaving me gaping in surprise like a fish out of water.

After an eternity, the final bell rang for the end of seventh period. Trembling, I swept my geography notebook and folder into my backpack and swung it over my shoulder. Pausing at my locker to retrieve my coat and stow away textbooks that I didn't need, I let out a shaky breath.

A hand touched my shoulder and I spun around in surprise. "Jacob!" I scolded, looking reproachfully at my slightly sheepish friend, "Don't scare me like that!"

He grinned. "Sorry. Ready to go down to the auditorium?"

I gazed at him in horror. "Already? I can't. I'm no good!"

Jacob regarded me with faint amusement. "Come on, Sophie. You'll do fine. It's now or never!" 

Stiffening my resolve, I closed my locker gently and began walking towards the auditorium, my heart sinking with every step. I had a nasty feeling I was walking into a loaded trap. I was walking a deathwalk. But I was an actress, and I'd act like it didn't bother me. 

I had no idea my pep talk would be proved so wrong.