Kol runs one finger down my arm and I flinch away. He takes this as me being scared of him, but I can't help that particular reaction lately, "You're not really all that powerful, witch."

He reaches up to touch my cheek and I swat him away. In a fit of anger, he grabs onto my wrist, squeezing it so hard that it could snap from the pressure, but Elijah steps in before I could confidently whisper my magical retaliation.

"Kol, leave us." Elijah commands quietly.

I pull my hand away from Kol and rub my wrist as it heals. The two exchange hushed words that I don't have the power to hear before the youngest storms away.

"Come, Claramay. Too many ears," Elijah whispers, offering his arm so he can guide me away from the party.

I accept it, but in the same moment, I spot Klaus and his date enter the room we're in. It's Elena's friend Caroline and even from a distance, she looks so much better than I did in that stupid blue dress.

"Get me out of here." I mumble, following Elijah as he weaves us through all the people to a less crowded corner below the staircase.

"Are you hurt?" Elijah asks immediately, gently grabbing my hand for me.

The bruising is still slowly forming, but it doesn't hurt at all now. From my experience, once the exterior injury is complete, then my magic can start healing that part of it.

"All healed up on the inside," I confirm, showing him that I can move my wrist freely. "Do you have information on what your mother is up to yet?"

He nods slightly and lowers his voice to match mine, "She's requested a private audience with Elena."

I scoff, "Good luck with that. By the looks of it, Stefan and Damon practically have her on a leash."

Elijah follows my gaze to where Elena is standing between both Salvatore boys. Damon notices and winks at me.

"Don't worry. I'll make sure it happens." I pretend to smile at my friend, but the hushed words are intended for Elijah.

Just before we part, Finn finds us to tell Elijah that it is time for the introductory announcement. He grasps my hand and pulls me along with him to the grand staircase where his family is already beginning to gather.

"Elijah, I-"

"It's alright, Claramay. It may not feel like it now, but he considers you to be his family too. Trust me." he smiles, heading further up the stairs to take his spot at the center.

Rebekah gestures for me to take a few more steps in her direction so Finn can stand where I just was. I comply as Elijah urges the crowd to settle so he can begin his speech.

"Welcome, thank you for joining us." Elijah's charming voice echoes gracefully so everyone can hear him, "You know, whenever my mother brings our family together like this, it's tradition for us to commence the evening with a dance. Tonight's pick is a centuries-old waltz, so if all of you could please find yourselves a partner, please join us in the ballroom."

I look up the staircase where Esther has expertly made her presence known to all those invited, specifically Elena. Damon and Stefan both move toward her instinctively as soon as Elijah is finished speaking. I hurry in their direction, but I'm startled instead when someone grabs my hand.

"Don't be frightened, it's just me," Elijah eases. "Care to join me for a dance?"

I notice Damon and Elena are also headed that way, so I smile and reply, "Of course."

Rebekah and Kol slide past us on the stairs to get themselves a partner. Klaus takes his time, meeting my eyes for the second that we are on the same step. Elijah pretends to be looking at something else until he's really gone.