Chapter Five - The Truth

Riley’s POV

                “Lex!” I swam to the edge of the pool and shoved myself up out of the water. My friends and brothers remain frozen around me, still in shock from the scene that had just taken place. “Lex, wait!”

                It didn’t take long to catch up to her. Short people have a serious disadvantage when it comes to running away. “Alexa, stop.” I grabbed her by her elbow and pulled toward the driveway as a car passed by.

                “Let me go!”

                “Not until you explain.” I kept my voice calm and steady.

                “I don’t have to tell you anything.”

                “You’ve been living in my house for three days now and we’ve hardly questioned you. I think I deserve at least some sort of explanation.”

                “I’ve already told you what you need to know.”

                I couldn’t contain my eye roll. “You may have my parents fooled, but I can see right through your lies. As soon as Braiden comes back you’ll be exposed anyway. You might as well tell me the real story so you’ll have someone on your side before my dad finds out and calls the police.”

                Her silence was her only response. I sighed.

                “Let’s make this simple. Who?” The silence continued. “Was it a boyfriend, an ex, a neighbor-“

                “My dad.” Her voice was barely above a whisper, and I felt my gut clench. I was expecting abuse by someone, but not by her own father.

                “Why?”

                She tugged the towel tighter around herself. “I deserved it.”

                “We both know that’s not true.”

                She bit her trembling lip, her fingers fidgeting with the fabric in her hands.

                “He’s been an alcoholic ever since I was born. He never used to touch me- my mom had always protected me from him when he was drunk- but then-“  I watched a tear slip down her cheek. “But then he killed her.” I felt the air leave my lungs as I took in the information. “He started using meth about a year and a half ago, but we didn’t know until last Christmas. My mom found him, clearly out of his mind, and they got into an argument. When she threatened to leave him if he didn’t stop, h-he-“

                Her tears were flowing steadily now, but I was frozen in place.

                “He pulled a gun. I locked myself in my room and hid in my closet the moment they started arguing, but when I heard the gun shot…” A sob escaped her lips.

                “He got away with it.” She continued. “I don’t know how or what he did, but he somehow convinced the police that she’d committed suicide. They had found anti-depressants with her name on it in one of our cabinets, so it wasn’t hard for them to believe. She had a history of depression in the past, but-“ Lex took a labored breath, her sobs taking most of her air.

                My voice was soft. “Why didn’t you go to the cops?”

                “He threatened me. That’s when he started the abuse. I’d gotten it verbally growing up, but it was nothing like this. I started spending as much time out of the house as possible, but that would just make him even angrier when I had to come back. Last week was the worst I’d ever gotten it. I-I knew I couldn’t stay there anymore, so I left. That’s how I ended up here, with you. I really was lost and had stopped to try to figure out where to go next when you all came out.”

                “Lex, I-“ I tried to find the right words. “I don’t even know what to say. I’m sorry.” I pulled her tightly to me for a hug, but loosened my grip immediately when I heard her whimper. “You need to tell my parents the truth, though. You know that, right?”

                She stiffened a bit in my arms. “M-my car isn’t starting. If you can help me fix it, I’ll leave as soon as possible. You can just tell them I disappeared, and it’ll be like none of this ever-“

                “Lex, you’re not going anywhere,” I interrupted. “I’m not going to lie for you, but I’m certainly not going to let you keep roaming the streets, and I definitely won’t let you go back home. We can help you.” Her bottom lip tremors as she looks up, and I take the moment to wipe her tears away. “I want to help you. You’re not alone in this.” I lock my eyes onto hers. “Not anymore.”

                She takes a deep breath and nods, her voice barely audible. “Okay.”

                We remain like this for several more seconds before I realize how odd this must look to anyone driving by. “Come on,” I say with a chuckle. My arms drop from her as I sprint back inside the house, grabbing Lex’s bag and Connor’s keys. “Get in,” I say once I return to the car in the driveway.

                “Where are we going?”

                I smirked. “Home. Thomas can drop my brother’s off later, and we have three hours to kill before my parents will be home.”

A/N: There it is! The truth is out. Were you surprised? How do you think Riley handled it? Big shoutout to @crazymcdonoughgurl for her awesome comments.  I appreciate it! Thanks so much for reading!!