Chapter Four - Pool Party Meltdown

Riley’s POV

                The next day passed by rather uneventfully. After breakfast, I’d announced to my mom that Braiden would be back from his trip on Thursday afternoon, and although a lengthy argument ensued, Mom convinced Lex to stay until then. Of course, that was only as long as it was okay with her parents…

                Whom I now know for certain she never called.

                Aside from the obvious- like his birthday not being any time soon and the moving date discrepancy- Braiden confirmed that he never knew a girl named Alexa McKormack (or at least can’t remember her, if he did), and even though he lived in Georgia at one point, the town was just east of Atlanta, not simply a few miles from the Florida border. At this point, it really comes down to two options: either Braiden is extremely forgetful, or Lex is a liar.

                The answer seems pretty obvious.

                Which leaves me with just over two days to figure out who she really is and what she’s really doing here.

                I hadn’t learned too much else about her during the day. For the most part, the time was spent in the front yard, playing basketball or longboarding. While Toby, Connor, and I did that, Lex spent her time just watching. Tank had warmed up to her quite quickly, and rarely left her side as she sat in the grass. I remember flying around the corner- with Connor and Toby hot on my tail- in a race to find Lex on her hands and knees, teasing Tank and romping around the yard with him. I couldn’t force myself to say it out loud for the fear of my brothers overhearing, but I couldn’t help but think it: she was adorable.

                Of course, the minute she heard us coming she stopped and acted like nothing had happened. It was strange, really. Anytime she seemed to be openly enjoying herself, she would stop just as quickly as she started and close herself off again. I added it to the ever-growing list of things I didn’t know about her.

                “Don’t forget, Savannah’s throwing a pool party tomorrow, so we’ll have to leave around noon,” I reminded Lex late Tuesday night. She froze in the entrance to the guest bedroom.

                “Oh, uh, are you sure she wanted me to come?  I don’t want to intrude- I would be perfectly fine staying here.” She stuttered awkwardly.

                “Nonsense, of course you’re invited! She sounded rather excited, actually. She really likes you.”

                “B-but I don’t have a swimsuit!” I could almost see the proud gleam in her eye at her excuse.

                “You’re about the same size, I’m sure she’ll let you borrow one.”

                “But-“

                “Night, Lex!”

                I smirked when I heard her sigh from the opposite side of my now-closed door, then hopped under the covers.

                                                                  **********

                I peeked an eye open at the sound of her window squeaking open. Lex had been pacing again, but I’d been able to sleep through it for the most part this time. Silently I counted the minutes until I heard her car unlock, then lock back, followed shortly after by the squealing of her window again.