Chapter 5: Assassination

Assassination

My thoughts wandered as we ran over the dusty ground, kicking up a trail of blowing dirt as we came ever closer to the edge of the forest, now little more than a dark line two or three thumb-widths high on the horizon. Part of me wondered if Chiara and I could ever be together without fear, while a second part argued that I might not live long enough to find out. A third part that whispered in the back of my mind to leave the rest of my group and go on alone, but I ignored that part of my mind because I knew any chance we had of winning was to fight together. Any other way would end with us drained of blood and slow roasted over the Bloodlust fires.

I glanced back behind me at my parents, but both of them had blank masks for expressions. Not even their eyes gave away any emotion to me, so I looked over at Lokí. His eyes were alight with the thrill of impending danger, and when he caught me looking he smiled as he sped up slightly to match my pace.

"Really gets your blood going at the thought of a fight, doesn't it?" He said with a smug grin, "I can't wait to get those bastards for killing my brother. I'm going to enjoy watching them slowly die as we cut them up piece by piece."

I grimaced at the mental picture, but then again, I didn't have the same memories that he had in terms of the Bloodlust. I'm sure I would have felt the same way if Gabby had been killed that first time we had been captured. I looked forward again and saw the trees were now approaching fast, and not a moment later we plunged into the dark with only a slight drop in speed.

"Go left." Lokí warned. "Now right." We dodged down another path and I heard the whistle and thunk as a dart buried itself into a tree to our left.

"What was that?" Mom asked from behind us.

"That would be why he's our guide." I said, "We would never get past all the defensive traps without his help."

She nodded and fell in beside dad as we raced down the thin trails, sometimes having to go single file in the cramped conditions. Lokí led us down three more trails before he slid to a stop, with me, mom and dad halting just behind him. He crouched on the balls of his feet and pushed aside some branches to peak out into what I assumed was Trinlodan. He let the branches swing back soundlessly and nodded to us.

"The night watch is just about to switch shifts." He said in a whisper, "We'll sneak in while they change so we won't be noticed. Once inside we'll head toward the elders' tents and attempt to take them in their sleep." As mom got a sour look on her face he sighed, "I know it's not the most honorable way to win a fight, but unless you want to risk the entire village taking up arms, this is the only way." He cleared some of the dead leaves from the ground and drew a collection of X's in the dirt. "These are the tents around the central clearing, and this is where we are now." Off to one side of the X's he poked a hole in the ground with his finger. "Now we're going to have to go all the way through Trinlodan in order to get to the elders' tents." He circled the three tents on the opposite side of the map from our position, "Here."

"Why didn't we arrive on that side if you knew where they were to begin with?" Mom asked, "Wouldn't it be easier to take them out if we didn't have to go through the entire village to get to them?"

"If you wanted to get spotted from the very start." Lokí countered, "This side of Trinlodan is where the least amount of guards is posted, and consequently, the least amount of watch fires. If we can slip by them the trip through town should be a snap because everyone is still asleep." He drew an arc through the dirt on the outside of the X's, right beyond the three he had circled. "The elders know the risk to them if someone decided to take out the problem at the source, so the majority of the guards are posted here, just beyond the edge of the last row of tents. If we sneak in through the back way, we can avoid the majority of them and hopefully get to the elders without raising the alarm." He stood up, "Any questions before we head in?"