∘FOURTEEN

CHAPTER FOURTEEN → YOU'VE CHANGED, BABY

The year is 1987. Jane is now 17 years old, still living with her father- and trapped in the hell hole of Hawkins.

In the summer after her heartbreak, She took a small trip to the next town over, to meet her distant aunt- Becky.

She became fond of her aunt, and decided to stay for a while. After 2 weeks, Jane discovered a pamphlet for a boarding school, the one her Aunt and mother had attended to as teenagers. CherryWood Boarding School for Girls.

Jane stayed at that boarding school for a year, encountering many exiting people and participating in sports she wouldn't even dream of doing. Although, she missed her dad. Half way through 11th grade she returned back to Hawkins.

Jane has only been back in Hawkins for a week, and already she feels as if she never left. The only thing thats missing is someone she cut off completely. Not a phone call, a letter, nothing.

Mike Wheeler.

The problem is, she doesn't know how or where to find him. Its summer break, June 8th to be exact. She knows she can't let a stupid 15 year old crush get to her though. Besides, he was the one who broke her heart- not the other way around. She didn't owe him anything. Except a punch in the face.

Jane fumbles inside the pockets of her denim jacket, trying to fish out the money Max had leant her in order for her to buy cigarettes. Eventually, she grabs ahold of the spare pennies in her palm.

She kicks the small door of the convenience door open, with a small bell ringing as she enters. She instantly looks towards a rack of chips, in flavours ranging from cheddar cheese to salt and vinegar.

She decides to grab a packet of plain flavour, and continues scanning her eyes across the isles. Once she reaches the front counter, she grabs a packet of 'Floral Cigarettes'. Classy.

She hears the cashier exhale in annoyance, as she still tries to count up her pennies in her palm.

"Just give me what you've got. I'll let you off if you don't have enough." The cashier speaks, his voice husky yet soothing, and oddly familiar.

"Oh thank you" She smiles, her eyes slowly blinking up at his. The boy looks around her age, tall, black curly hair, and pale skin with freckles dusted across his cheeks. Wait a second...

"Jane?" The boy squints, as she slowly slips her pennies onto her pocket, as her eyes fixate on him. Puberty treated him nicely.

"Yes." She confirms, trying to hold herself together, whole she quickly hides the packet of cigarettes behind her back.

The boy blankly stares at her, before his lips pull into an ever so slight smirk. "You've changed, baby."

Baby.

The memories come flooding back. The dance, the kiss, the party, the phone call - everything. Jane bites back tears, as all the anger she has bottled up for two years suddenly fuels her body. She slaps his cheek. Hard.

Without anything more said, she stuffs the cigarettes in her pocket, leaving behind the chips, and Mike's red cheek. Jane storms out of the shop, kicking the dingy door open on her way out, letting it slam shut behind her.

She is half way across the street, when she hears the bells of the door. After she reaches the other side of the road, she glances over her shoulder. Mike stands on the other side of the street, with folded arms.

"You forgot to pay!" He hollers helplessly, his hands hanging down at his sides.

Jane laughs, sticking up the bird at him, before running off.

*

The sunsets are one of the main things she missed about Hawkins. Its as if they are set in the most perfect way, just able to see the sun disappear, and the moon come out, melting into the cosmic. She dangles her feet on the ledge of Max's roof, as the two girls share a cigarette.

"Lucas has been acting out lately. He hasn't been wanting to do stuff like we usually do, you know?" Max explains with a sigh, waving away the clouds of smoke.

"Maybe theres another girl." Jane bluntly replies, taking a drag of the cigarette.

Max thinks for a moment, quietly. "Maybe..."

Jane still looks into the distance with a poker face, holding out the cigarette in the air, and waving it around, making patterns with the smoke. "And maybe she's better at kissing than you, and she's prettier..."

Max furrows her brows, snatching the cigarette out of Jane's hands, gaining her attention.

"Are we still talking about me and Lucas?" Max asks, taking a small puff of smoke.

"No." Jane sighs, crossing her arms, and shrinking into her shoulders.

"What's the matter, Jane?" Max asks, concerns written all over her softened facial expression, as she lays a hand on Jane's shoulder.

"Mike Wheeler is whats wrong!" She snaps, swatting her friends hand away.

Max rolls her eyes, laughing in disbelief. "God your still hung up on that man-whore?"

"Man-whore?" Jane innocently asks with a sad, watery, look in her eyes.

"He's been with about every girl you can think of." Max rants, waving around the cigarette. Jane slowly faces the ginger, batting her lashes.

"Even you?"

"Even me."

Jane chokes, coughing into her sleeve. Max rubs her back gently.

"How?! Didn't he hate you?!" She shrieks, still continuing to cough hoarsely.

Max raises her brows, lightly blushing at the memory. "Not when he's had a few drinks and is locked in a basement with you."

Before Jane has time to answer, Max interferes with her racing thoughts.

"What happened in the basement stays in the basement." Max confirms, pointing harshly at Jane, with the cigarette hanging out the corner of her mouth.

"So he isn't some geek...anymore?" Jane asks, almost hopefully, as thats her most fond memories of him- being a weak little dork with a heart of gold...or so she thought.

Max takes a puff before speaking. "Nope. But to him, I'm pretty sure you still come across too easy, he could wink at you and you'd melt."

"I don't want to be a easy!" Jane defends, the side of her jeans becoming muddied by the wet soil collected on the gutters of Max's roof.

"Then don't act like one! Don't give him what he wants. Play hard to get." She convinces, playfully pushing Jane's chest.

Jane simply garbs her forehead, as it begins to throb. "Jesus, pass me another cigarette."

____

Hey. so I'm so exited to continue this book eek. its not really a sequel, its just that the book is split in two halves, the first half when they where 15, and now when they are 17. also, check out the playlist chapter, as I've added some new songs :)