∘NINE (2)

CHAPTER NINE (PART 2/2) → ILL BE SEEING YOU

ILL BE SEEING YOU

Jane enters the room once again, sighing in content, as he eyes slowly skim over the crowd of people once again. Couples are slow dancing, as the smooth yet up tempo love song curls around each couple, intertwining them together. I don't need him, I don't need Mike. Jane repeats in her head, over and over, as she walks back towards where she had last left Dustin.

Once she merges her way to the tables at the back of the room, she instantly locks eyes with none other than Mike himself.

He looked handsome, with his hair blow-waved to perfection, and his tuxedo a nude beige, with a cute knitted baby blue sweater beneath, with a red tie. A soft expression is on his face, his lips drooping at the sides, and his starry eyes staring into thin air, daydreaming. I don't need him, I don't need him.

His eyes slowly drift up to the girl who stands a few feet away, her hands behind her back, and a small curl on forehead, accenting the slicked back yet wavy look.

Jane's eyes are elsewhere, as she pretends to look away, softly mouthing the words to the song. I look around but its you I can't replace I feel so cold and I long for your embrace.

Mike stands up, tight on cue, as the long note of the song holds, and the tune softening. Jane looks at the boy, as he cracks a small smile. Maybe I do need him.

The two timid teens slowly walk towards each other, as Mike slips his hand nervously in his pocket, and Jane shyly swishes her dress, her lips twitching at the corners into a small smile.

"You look beautiful." Mike blurts, his eyes traveling down her gorgeous dress, to her small pink flats. They then look back up to her face, her pink tinted lipgloss and purple eyeshadow completing the look.

Jane's cheeks instinctively turn pink, as she melts at the comment. "You don't look to bad yourself Wheeler."

There is a small pause, as they both shyly stand arms length apart. Mike speaks up first. "Do you want to dance?"

Jane can't contain her smile. As much as this boy had put her through so much heartache, she can't say no. Not now.

"Sure." She sighs, fluttering her thickly coated lashes. Mike grabs a gentle hold of her hand, leading them into the sea of couples. As they had practised, Jane curls her hands around Mike's neck, as he slips his around to hold her waist.

"I'm sorry." Mike whispers, the sorrow in his voice subtle, but enough for Jane to instantly want to forget everything, and simply stay internally in this mesmeric moment.

"It's okay." She confirms, pulling Mike a smidge closer, and locking eye contact.

"No I am really sorry...I don't know what got into me I-" The boy cuts himself off, watching Jane's lips twist into a smirk, as they sway to the music.

She plays with his hair that tickles his neck. "Mike. I forgive you." Mike sighs contently, lopsidedly smiling in a dorky way only he could look cute.

"What happened with Jennifer?" Jane questions softly, her eyes desperately searching his.

"Jennifer? pfft. she ditched me for will as soon as we got here." He snorts, his pink tinted cheeks uplifting as he shows a toothy smile.

Jane cocks a brow. "Weren't you with her near the bleachers? at the back door...?"

"No. I was sitting here the whole time." Mike admits in a low and regretful voice, twitching the corner of his mouth. Max must have misinterpreted Will for Mike! It wasn't Mike! She smirks, flickering her eyes up to his, and he returns a smile- through his eyes.

Jane and Mike slowly continue to dance, coming closer and closer at each beat, their chests touching, and Jane resting her head on his shoulder. They now hug, her arms tight around his neck, while his remain wrapped around her small petite body, still slowly swaying until the song slowly rolls into another.

Jane slowly pulls her face away from his shoulder, their noses touching. She flutters her eyes closed, feeling him flinch as his breath hitches, hitting her cheek.

Eventually, Mike closes his eyes, and slightly tilts his face, pushing his lips to hers. Jane is taken back by the kiss, not reacting quick enough to kiss back. Mike slowly inches his face away, the ghost of his lips lingering on hers.

Jane smiles, grabbing his cheek with her hand, caressing his soft freckled cheekbone. She presses her lips against his once again, surprising him as she steals a second kiss. Once their lips detach, Mike admirably stares at a lovestruck Jane.

Mike leans in close to her ear. "Im glad you kissed back"

The comment makes the girls cheeks turn a more rich red, as she flickers her eyes from his lips back to meet his gentle stare.

"Me too" She smiles, scrunching up her nose slightly, before Mike pulls her into his chest for a tight embrace. Jane closes her eyes, as his chin rests on her head, inhaling her distinct strawberry scent.

*

Jane holds both Mike's hands, as they secretly stand together beside the staircase leading from the gymnasium out to the parking lot.

Mike stressfully grabs her cold face with a warm hand. "I can't lose you again- I...please don't tell me your going to never speak to me again because of the things i said on the phone that night because i enjoyed tonight so much and...and-"

Jane halts his rambling with her finger on his mouth, smiling. She glances at her fathers car, as he sits with the window rolled open, and his cigarette hanging out.

"You wont lose me."

"Do you promise?" He asks helplessly. Jane holds her pinky up, the cool air nibbling her skin. Mike wraps his pinky around hers tightly.

"Promise." She confirms, letting his pinky go.

Mikes smile illuminates the dark and cold night, with Jane's eyes glistening in utter love. Pure and innocent love. He had put the band aid on her chipped heart.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow...I have to go" She hurriedly tells him, glancing at her fathers car, with smoke clouding from the exhaust pipes. She pecks his rosy cheek with a tender kiss, before quickly scuttling away, and jumping into the awaiting car.

Her father glances at her with a stern smirk in his rear view mirror, before beginning to drive. Here comes the boy lecture.

____

I'm not sure if i like this chapter idk why, but i wanted to post for you guys. Also, i named this chapter after my fav billie holiday song because duh, romance.