∘ONE

CHAPTER ONE → PASSING NOTES

CHAPTER ONE PASSING NOTES

The loud and familiar roar of teenagers echoes through the large halls of Hawkins High, as jocks taunt the nerds, and everyone in between quickly rushes past making sure they stay out of sight. It's just how it worked. You didn't interact with anyone above or below you, unless of course, your at the top.

Jane Hopper was a quiet girl, limited to nobody but her own company, and scared to do as much as breath close to a boy, afraid her father will find out through his many connections of the school, considering he's the chief policeman of the whole town. Everyone knew him, and everyone knew to stay away from his daughter.

A group of girls in middle school once made a rumour that she was being abused, hence all the bruises on her arms. Little did the know it was nothing but Jane being clumsy, but of course nobody had spoken to her for that long, so they wouldn't know. Another group of girls in even made a rumour she couldn't speak, only to have it squashed when Jane cussed out somebody for tripping her in the hallway.

Jane fumbles with her schedule in her fragile hands, her luscious, yet barely shoulder length, curls bouncing as she walks. The 'Molly Ringwald' cut as her father had named it. She bites her lip, furrowing her brows as she narrows her vision, pulling the sheet of paper closer for her to read.

Period 1;
Math
Mr Keene, room 353.

She scans her eyes at her surroundings, gaining a few snarky looks from people who walk past her, mostly from girls. It doesn't faze her. Her eyes catch a particular group of boys, made up of three. Troy, Mason, and Andy. The school bullies, responsible for most of the taunting. She averts her eyes away, swallowing hard.

After rummaging through her locker and grabbing the correct books, Jane now walks into her classroom. 2 minuets late, damn it. She gains the attention of the whole class, accept the teacher, who mindlessly scribes onto the blackboard.

She takes the opportunity to quickly scramble to the first empty seat she spots. The second row, beside the window, and next to none other than Mike Wheeler, a known dweeb, part of the AV club. Certified dork.

She lets out a small huff, before slouching into the seat, snickers from the back row heard, and a few whispers going around the room. She can almost feel all the eyes on here including Mike's. She runs a hand through her hair, holding it out of her face as she slams her text book onto the dingy wooden desk. She feels her eyes shift to Mike, who stares at her with an unreadable expression.

"Okay Wheeler boy, I get you've probably never been this close to a girl before, but just remember this wasn't my cho-" she slowly pauses herself, realising how harsh she might be coming across. Not a great first impression if this is going to be her seat for the rest of the year.