It wasn’t that at all.

I was ashamed. How differently would they all think of me once they found out? I had made a huge mistake during the school year and it was something I couldn’t take back.

Everyone had laughed at me, and called me mean names. He had never let me forget it. I couldn’t even tell my parents. Usually I could tell my mom everything. But not this. Not when I had ruined something. If I had just been better, more observant, if I hadn’t set myself up...I wouldn’t be where I was today.

Nobody wants to hear about it anyway. The two people I had tried to tell laughed at me. One of them didn’t believe me and the other said it was all my fault.

I wish I wasn’t so stupid.

I wish I was normal.

***********

I got the mail once we got home and found a postcard with the Hollywood sign on it.

Zalee,

Well, we’re in California now. It’s so hot here, a nice change from Washington.

It’s so nice here, although we have yet to see any famous people. Trey is pretty determined however. Don’t tell him this but I don’t think we’ll meet anyone here.

We’ve gone on a bunch of tours because we’re being all touristy, and we have so many pictures! I’ll have to show them to you once we get back.

I wish that you were here sometimes. I miss you and I really think you would love this stuff. Also I haven’t heard you sing yet! That needs to happen. Perhaps I’ll force you to sing at my wedding someday. Maybe make you and your dad do a cute little daddy-daughter-duet.

Anyway, I love you! Hope you’re having fun back in Hawaii!

Love, Lissa...and Trey.

I sighed thinking about all the fun they must be having as I added the postcard to my wall. I thought maybe by the end of summer it would be a nice collage...or at least halfway there. Then I thought that someday, probably soon, I’ll have to take it all down, and putting it up was practically for nothing.

I didn’t really care though. Looking at the postcards, and the pictures of me surfing and the notes that Jace had given me made me happy. That’s what was important. I decided that even if I had to take them down someday soon, I wouldn’t get rid of them, they’d always be with me somehow.

I changed and walked outside, grabbing the surfboard in the process. No one said anything as  I headed out to the beach.

I paddled out into the ocean and just sat there, letting the waves rock me back and forth.

Could I tell any of them?

They all claimed they wouldn’t judge me...but what if they couldn’t help themselves?

Others had judged me, why wouldn’t they? Because they’re your friends, a small voice in the back of my mind said.

The other people were my friends too.

Maybe I will tell them...just not today.

I spent the next two hours just getting lost in the surf. I was pretty proud of myself actually, I only wiped out once.

I walked back inside with my t-shirt sticking to my back and my hair making water run down my face.

“You went surfing?” Jace asked making me jump.

I nodded while pushing some wet strands of hair behind my ear. “I only wiped out once.”

“Nice.”

The conversation was awkward and there were a lot of things left unsaid. I cleared my throat after a moments silence. “Well I’m gonna go change.”

“Yeah,” he said casually. “Right.”

I walked into my room and closed the door behind me before sighing.

Did I ruin a perfectly good friendship between us the other day?

I heard something slide under my door and I picked it up, smiling.

I read the piece of paper inside the envelope,

The way you smell like vanilla.

I blushed a little, figuring he was referring to yesterday and how close we had been. I didn’t think anyone would ever notice how I smelled.

I looked at the star in my hand and smiled.

Your scent.

I added the note to my wall and the star to my ceiling. I flopped down on my bed completely ignoring the fact that I was still soaking wet.

I have to tell them.