Chapter Fifteen

Hey guy's so sorry that it has taken so long. I've been going through some rough and stressful things. Besides having 6 classes and 2 jobs and being an executive for my schools theatre group, I've just been dealing with some things that actually hit close to home involving this story. Maybe that's why I haven't been able to sit down and write lately. 

I stared at this chapter when I had barely started it for almost an hour just not being able to write anything. But I finally got to it.

I am so sorry it took so long. Thanks for sticking by me and continuing to read. 

Chapter fifteen

All of our parents, besides Lissa's finally arrived a week later. Ian was going to pick his parents up at the airport in an hour. It took us a while to hide anything in the house that we didn't want found. I told Jace that I didn't wanna tell anyone about us and luckily he just assumed that I was nervous about how everything would end. Really I just didn't want to feel like we were trying to outshine Lissa and Trey's moment. Although Trey, Lissa and I would be the only ones who actually knew.

They still hadn't told anyone about their engagement and I figured that they were just waiting until the anniversary party. It made me feel really awkward around everyone else. I just felt like I was lying and I didn't like that I was keeping things from everyone. Especially Jace.

My mind had been elsewhere and it caused me to pop the balloon I was holding and I nearly tumbled off the ladder.

"Woa there," Ian said putting a steadying hand on my back.

"Thanks," I laughed.

"You wanna switch me jobs?" He asked motioning to the food table that he had slowly been filling up.

"You know what, I've had enough of hanging balloons. Be my guest," I said slowly climbing down the ladder. "You're taller anyway."

I nearly skipped into the kitchen as I heard a balloon pop and Ian swear under his breath.

I grabbed the cake off the counter and walked as fast as I dared towards the backyard. I kept picturing someone rounding the corner and running into me or me tripping and dropping the cake. Luckily I made it to the table with the cake in one piece.

Believe it or not it took nearly two hours to set everything up the way Lissa wanted it. There were multiple sighs from Zoe and eye rolls from Ian but otherwise everything went pretty smoothly.

I had just walked out of my room after changing into a light blue halter top dress that stopped an inch or so above my knees and the back was completely open.

"Is that dress parent appropriate?" My mom asked smiling as she leaned against the wall with her arms crossed. I merely shrugged. "You look beautiful, baby," she said before pulling me into her arms.

I hugged her back harder than I meant to as I realized how long it had been since I'd hugged my own mother. Although I was usually more of a daddy's girl, I still missed her. I missed my dad as well, we always bonded over music and now I had to call him to talk about anything.

My dad rounded the corner and swooped me into his arms before spinning me around. I laughed as he set me back on the ground. "Speak of the devil and he shall appear," I said smiling as he held me at arm's length.

"Hey," he said feigning offense. "I'm an angel."

"Of course you are, sweetie," my mom said patting his shoulder and winking at me.

"Zalee," Lissa said bounding up to us. "You look great like always." I blushed and pulled at the bottom of my dress, nervously. "You figured out what song you're singing right?"