Chapter three

So I have a question that I'd love to be answered honestly. How are you guys feeling about the fact that this is a darker book? 

Like how do you feel about all of Zalee's personal problems? 

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

Chapter three

“What did you do?” She yelled at me as I starting zoning out. “Zalee, what did you do?” I stumbled backwards before hitting the wall and putting a hand to my chest. “Tell me what you did!” She shook my shoulders and I shoved her backwards.

“Don’t touch me!” I screamed at her.

I started sprinting away hearing voices call after me.

“What’d she do?”

“Zalee?”

“Zalee come back!”

I bolted upright in bed and put my head in my hands. I could feel hot tears burn my cheeks and I willed them to stop.

I heard someone knock on the door and I drew in a shaky breath.

“Zalee?” I heard Jace ask softly through the door. “Do you want me to come in?”

I caught a glance of myself in my mirror. My hair was everywhere, my make-up gone. “Not really,” I said as calmly as I could hoping he couldn’t tell I was crying.

“Ok.” I heard him slip something under the door before walking away.

I waited a few moments before getting up and retrieving the envelope. I turned it upside down on my bed and a piece of paper fluttered out soon followed by a glow in the dark star.

I unfolded the paper first.

Don’t ever feel the need to tell me what’s wrong. But I’m always here if you need anything.

A shoulder to cry on.

Someone to listen to you.

Someone to cheer you up.

Anything.

I smiled before looking at the star.

Your laugh.

These could be the only things to help me get through the day.

***************

Later that day Zoey managed to convince everyone to go to the mall. I road with Jace in the jeep while Lianne and Zoey road with Ian in the other car.

Most of the ride had been spent in silence but he cleared his throat a few blocks before we’d reached the mall. “Do you have bad dreams often?”

I looked over at him but he was looking at the road, refusing to meet my eye.

“They stopped for a while...they’ve started coming back lately.”