"How about that one, Frederick? Or that one?" Patience, who had changed for the ball, was now wearing a red frilly dress similar to mother's, hair gorgeously tied in a ribbon. She had been standing beside me for all of two hours, for once not talking to her peers, trying to urge me in the right direction. "That one, Frederick! That one!"

"No and no," I muttered.

"Even that one with a beautiful white wig?"

"Especially that."

I sipped on my glass. It was the only thing keeping me from falling asleep.

Two hours ago, when the ball had just started, father and mother had introduced me to the guests, all of whom were delighted to see that I was, as per their own words, a stunner. But after that, and numerous attempts at conversations, I had resigned myself next to the wall, nursing my glass of wine.

"Look again, Frederick! Look again!"

"Patience. . ."

"Just look again!"

A sigh escaped my lips. The little bundle of joy was too restless, but she was nice enough to stick by me, so I turned to the direction she was pointing.

Who's that?

My breaths waned. For the briefest instance, a millisecond perhaps, a person wearing a cloak caught my eye. Strange because everyone else was wearing bright dresses, peacocks so to speak, but this one was different. Whoever it was had walked away hurriedly.

"Frederick?"

Patience's voice lowered to a dull thrum, then a bit later devoured by the orchestra playing in the ballroom as I tailed the person of interest. I mingled with the crowd— the dancers, the guests, all of whom had forgotten that the reason they went here was for me. But it didn't matter, I thought, as I traversed through the swirling mass. I didn't want them here. I just wanted to know where that mysterious guest was.

"Looking for me?"

I stilled. Then turned around to see the person, face hooded, standing there in front of me.

"Who are you?" I said, throwing caution to the wind. "Why are you wearing a cloak on my party?"

"Because I'm hideous."

"You don't say."

The person chuckled, a husky sound that oddly made my stomach turn.

"And if I really am, will you be disgusted?"

"Well. . ." I looked her up and down. "No. I think such titles could never befall a woman. And you're a woman, aren't you? Your voice tells me you're lovely."

"Am I now?" Her tone told me she was amused. "Then why don't you take off my hood and we'll see?"

"My Lady, is that even allowed?"

"For you, Lord Frederick Ashborne, yes."

The way she spoke my name made my heart gallop like a horse. It was as if she had known me all her life, and here I was left at a disadvantage. Curious. I moved to touch her hood.

"Lucinda!" someone yelled. "Lucinda, the guards are coming!"

At the alarm, the woman in front of me turned, gasped, and was about to move like a carriage coming to life when I grabbed her hand.

"Wait!" I said. "Where are you off to? You haven't showed me your face yet."

The woman considered. I knew she did because I could feel it in her movement, could sense the hesitation vibrating from her. "Earn it," she whispered. "Earn the right to see me. But I really must go!"