50's/60's series - john shelby: then he kissed me.

Start from the beginning

"He isn't interested in me - "

A cough from behind you made you stop halfway through your sentence. Turning around unhurriedly, a smile threatened to work its way onto your mouth as you looked John up and down. A smirk was on his own face as he tried to stutter out a few simple words that would change his life forever without him even knowing.

"Do you want to dance?" he asked, offering his hand for you to take.

Tilly was pressing her hand into your lower back, practically forcing you off the bar stool and into John's body.

"I might as well take a chance," you whispered before linking your fingers with John's.

The two of you danced for the rest of the night, caught up in the music and each other. John held you close, his fingers spread out across your back, the hand holding yours as he twirled you around on the dance floor. Unexpectedly, John was a decent dancer - to add to his other talents - and not once did you feel uncomfortable like you had expected to feel.

"You're a good dancer," you whispered in his ear, your breathing causing goose bumps to form across John's skin. Over John's shoulder, you could see his two older brothers watching the pair of you dance with smug grins on their face. John was completely ignorant to Arthur and Tommy's staring, he was too invested in you. "Better that what I thought you was going to be," you said before leaning back and turning around.

John scoffed before dragging you back. "My mother forced me to learn when we were younger," he admitted shyly. "I hated it when she first made us learn but it's benefited me now, hasn't it?"

You raised one eyebrow before chuckling. "I guess it has. Anyway, I must be going home." A whine left John's lips as he let your hand slip from his, which pained him. Following you over to the bar, he watched as you tried to find Tilly. "Bloody woman," you muttered when you realised that she had slipped off in advance. Sighing, you reached into your bag and pulled out a cigarette before smiling at John who looked miserable. "I've had a nice time dancing with you, John," you told him, not expecting anything else to come from the night that had been filled with sniggers and seducing.

"Let me walk you home," John said once you had started to walk away. It came out desperate and quick, but John didn't care, he had become attached in such a short amount of time and it worried him to death, but he didn't want to leave your company. "There's some frightening streets out there and I wouldn't forgive myself if something bad happened to you."

With a cautious nod, you held your hand out and grabbed John's before walking out of the club and into the windy darkness. There was silence as you and John walked leisurely, your hands swinging in the middle of your physiques.

"It wasn't very nice of your friend to leave you on your own meaning you would have to walk home by yourself," John said, acting as if he had principles.

With a shrug of your shoulders, you glanced at John with a grin. "I'm not complaining in the slightest. Her leaving me means that I get to walk home with you and that's a good thing."

"You think?"

"I know that it is."

Before you could register it, John had wrapped his arms around your waist and was pressing his lips against yours. Instantly, without even thinking about it, you returned the kiss and allowed your hands to run through his hair, knocking the famous cap off and onto the cobbled pavement. If someone was to look out of their bedroom window, they would have a fright, but you couldn't care less as you allowed yourself to fall deeper into the wonderful trap that would hold you down forever. John Shelby was yours already and it had only been a few hours since the two of you had first met.