The Hardest Continuation

Start from the beginning

"D*mn this all." Brent looked forward again. His fists clenched, and he blew his bangs out of his face. "I f*cking hate this place," he continued to grumble.

Noting that Brent's temper was only getting worse, Nick shook his head. If he continued on like that, the creature wouldn't be their only problem. "Just remember that we'll get a decent reward after this. You can use that money to buy a feast, Brent."

"I'll be buying more than food, Nick. You should know that already."

"I think that I just want to go to a crowded place and spend a lot of time there," Tara mentioned, her voice only sounding more exhausted. "If it's a restaurant, that'll be even better. I could really go for a cheeseburger right now." She began to mumble, and Nick could only presume that she was off dreaming about food. His own stomach was begging for something to eat, but he forced the feeling aside.

When they reached the first of the tiny rooms, they entered with caution but discovered nothing. It was simply an empty closet. The next room also was a closet. This time, though, there was something inside. All of them stared at the lone can of peaches. There was an expiration date, but they hardly cared about that. Tara reached out and grabbed it from the shelf. Unfortunately, none of them had a can opener. She glared at the object as though it was worse than the creature.

"Give it here. I have a knife," Nick offered, and Tara handed it over. He passed the map to Brent before he took out the knife. After he placed the can on the ground, he plunged the knife into the metal. Juice squirted out, and both of his friends told him to be careful. Nick waved them off, and he started to cut the lid off.

Once the can was open, he stashed the knife away and took the map back. "We can eat as we continue forward." The other two agreed, and they all picked out peaches. Thankfully, they still tasted delightfully sweet and refreshing. A problem almost arose when they were down to the last peach. Nick removed his knife and sliced it into three pieces. With issue resolved, they placed the empty can in the next room, which happened to be an empty closet.

In the fourth and final room, they did find a half bathroom. None of them wished to enter further. Dried crimson decorated the space in forms of handprints and footprints. A bloodied towel hung over the side of the sink. "I don't want to drink any water from there," Tara remarked, speaking for everyone. They didn't have much of a choice, though.

Since Brent and Tara didn't move, Nick took the honors and headed inside. He gulped at the amount of dried blood around the sink. His eyes scanned over the faucet handles, and he tried to find a spot that wasn't red. With great reluctance, he placed his left index finger and thumb on the left handle and turned. Water flowed out steadily, but it was clear.

Peering back at his two friends, they stayed in their places. Nick knew that they weren't going to try the water first. He sighed at their behavior and placed the map under his right arm. His hands cupped under the stream before he brought them to his lips. Despite the questionable source of the water, it tasted fine and relieved his dry throat. After several more drinks, he felt satisfied. It didn't feel like there was sand in his throat anymore.

His eyes glanced into the mirror momentarily. He saw his two friends behind him, but he saw something else. Spinning on his heels, he yelled, "Brent, Tara watch out!" The two were confused until they glanced behind them. Long nails descended down from the air vent in the hallway ceiling. An arm came next, and it swept through the air towards them. Both of them ducked as the hand traveled overhead. Giggles filled their ears before the hand withdrew back into the air vent.

No one needed to say anything. They all bolted from the area and towards the center. It was so close to them now. Footfalls didn't sound behind them, but they saw the air vents in the ceiling. The creature could strike at any time, but they didn't hear movement up there. Their guards couldn't be dropped again, or the creature would successfully sneak up on them once more.

Nick doubted that the creature could fit (f/n) in the air vent with it. If it could, it would be maneuvering rather awkwardly through them. Maybe, she had managed to get away from the thing again. Her luck certainly seemed to be better than theirs. The thing wouldn't give up on them.

Glancing over her right shoulder, Tara nearly screamed. The thing was simply standing back where that air vent was. A grin painted its lips. It held up its hands, and its fingers started to go down. With perfect understanding, she looked forward and urged, "We need to go faster! It's going to come in seconds!"

"We know, but we can only go so fast!" Brent yelled back. He turned on his flashlight as did Nick. If that thing hated light, they would blast it with it. As predicted, the creature started to charge. Its nails scraped across the wall and caused them all to try and protect their ears from it. Luckily for them, it only desired one of them.

Its footfalls were nearly on top of them. They pushed their legs harder, but they just couldn't outrun it. At once, they all stopped and shone their flashlights on it. The creature halted and covered its eyes. Eyes closing, it lowered its arms slowly. Tara was the first to dash back into a mad sprint. Nick and Brent backed away gradually before they joined Tara; however, one of them didn't make it far.

Dashing forward, the creature leaped into the air and collided against its target. They tumbled across the ground, and the other two stopped. One of them looked upon the situation before they bolted again. The other took a step forward to help, but the creature's threatening grin caused them to run.