Chapter 3 - An Unpleasant Encounter

Start from the beginning

“What?” I managed to say, looking away from the stranger’s eyes to look at my mom. 

“This is Agent Francisco Medina.” She said, pausing to hesitate on what she’d say next. I simply waited for her until she blurted, “And he’s your new bodyguard.”

A hysterical chuckle escaped my mouth as I rose a single eyebrow at her in skepticism.

“Seriously. You’re joking.” I said, chuckling again as I crossed my arms over my chest, waiting for either my mom or the man, Francisco, to start laughing too. They didn’t. “Mom, this is the most pathetic and mediocre joke ever! Oh, and this is the part where you start cracking up too.” I said, rolling my eyes with a knowing grin. My mom didn’t seem to think this was the slightest bit funny, she looked... nervous. But Mr. Medina over there was trying to hide a smile, the corners of his full lips quivering to form a grin or let out a laugh, yet for some reason I didn’t think he was laughing about the same thing as me. I narrowed my eyes at him, not bothering to be discreet, and he let the grin roll onto his mouth, a sexy gesture touching his whole face. My stomach twisted into ropes at the sight and I felt like slapping myself. Don’t let his looks get to you, Mila.

“Honey, I’m not joking. This is serious. I need you to be safe and judging on yesterday’s incident you really need some security-” My mom spoke but I cut her off before my head became more full of, well, shit.

“Oh, mother of God...” I muttered to myself before speaking. Mr. Medina raised an eyebrow in mock amusement and I fought the urge to kick him in the shins. Then I spoke, “What happened yesterday was nothing!” I exclaimed. 

“Exactly! It was nothing compared to what could have happened.” My mom counteracted.

“Mom, be rational, you’re overreacting. So what? Two men were walking behind me. Maybe I dropped something or they wanted an autograph! I don’t need a bodyguard. I can take perfect care of myself, thank you.” I said, my voice slightly raised and exasperated. God knew I didn’t believe the words I had just said but I would do anything to keep a bodyguard from following me around, spying on me, taking away the little normalcy I had in my life. No matter how damn hot he was I simply refused to have a stupid bodyguard because I did not need one for shit

“Mila, you need a bodyguard.” My mom implied, completely ignoring every word that came out of my mouth, her eyes pleading and tugging at my guilt. 

“Really? What difference will he make?” I ask, looking pointedly at Mr. Medina, my anger threatening to overflow. He was definitely not on my favorite people list. The way he looked at me with his smirking eyes and lips told me that he knew something I didn’t know, that he knew a dirty little secret. 

 “Actually, ma’m, I think that I can make many differences.” And that was the first time he spoke to me with a voice so frustratingly alluring and mockingly teasing that I really thought I’d kick him this time. 

“Oh, I’m not thoroughly convinced on the matter, Mr. Medina.” I spat, my voice heavy with sarcasm. He didn’t seem angry, oh no, anything but actually. The man shot me a dazzling lopsided smile, such an unnervingly beautiful thing it was that my heart actually jumped. Literally, it jumped. Like, bounced. 

“I’m quite confident I’ll prove otherwise, Ms. Belvedere.” He said casually and I knew perfectly well that he was indeed confident.

“Overly so, actually.” I muttered, loud enough for him to hear. And then the man laughed. He laughed. As if it wasn’t enough for my insides to see him smile but now he laughed and that elicited a masculine melody of humor so erotic and foreign to me that little flurries invaded my stomach, leaving me baffled.