And that was another thing. How was their newest recruit – Albus had to laugh at the thought of the reaction he'd receive if he ever called Mr Malfoy any kind of 'recruit' to his face – but to return to the point, how was their newest recruit supposed to work effectively with them if he hated their figurehead?

Albus had kept his word, and was even now keeping Lucius at bay as the man tried furiously to get at his disobedient son. Draco knew nothing of the proceedings, of course, only that the stream of letters he'd been receiving had stopped at least a week ago – when Albus had begun intercepting them. He didn't trust Lucius not to place a portkey or something equally devious inside. He'd also completed the arrangements for the boy to remain at Hogwarts even during compulsory holidays.

But in return for his efforts, he didn't intend for Mr Malfoy to sit back and remain on their side in name alone, so to speak. He would put whatever talents he had to use in the coming war, just like everybody else.

For the moment, however, Albus would be content if the Slytherin was even on talking terms with the students who were doing their best to prepare for what was coming. Besides, if only for his own sake, it would be good for Mr Malfoy to be exposed to the influences of the other Houses, not just his own.

A voice that sounded suspiciously like Severus hissed in the back of his head that perhaps he had become a little biased towards Slytherin House, but he pushed it away forcefully.

Mind made up, the Headmaster nodded to himself, already forming his newest spur-of-the-moment notion into a plan.

xxx

It was becoming less of a surprise for Harry to be summoned to the Headmaster's office these days. What worried him was that it was also becoming less of a surprise to find Malfoy there as well.

The blond turned to give him a scornful look when he entered five minutes late, as usual. Harry stiffened defensively, but Dumbledore simply waved him inside, indicating towards the empty chair beside the Slytherin.

"Harry, my boy, sit down why don't you?"

The Gryffindor lowered himself into the waiting seat hesitantly, looking uncomfortable. It usually made him nervous enough to be here, but with Malfoy perched haughtily by his side, it was ten times worse.

"Is there a reason we're here, Headmaster?" the blond asked disrespectfully, folding his arms.

The old man peered at the boy over his glasses sternly, before encompassing them both in his gaze. "Yes, Mr Malfoy, there is a reason. Two, in fact. Firstly, I wanted to take this opportunity to inform Harry that you have indeed chosen to take our side in the coming battle –"

"Sir –!" Malfoy sat forward in protest, gripping the armrests tightly.

Harry was staring at the other teen in astonishment, not quite sure how to react.

Dumbledore went on regardless. "No shame in it, Mr Malfoy, I assure you. And I especially think Harry has a right to know, considering he'll be helping me introduce you to the side of the Light –"

It was Harry's turn to object, also sitting forward. "Sir, I'm not sure –"

"Nonsense, nonsense. I'm not expecting the two of you to become… brothers in arms right away, of course. I would, however, like to ask a favour of you, Harry."

The Gryffindor swiftly wiped away the expression of thorough disgust which had come upon him at the thought of he and Malfoy ever being 'brothers in arms'. He shook himself to clear his head of the image before responding. "Uhm… favour, Professor?"

The old man smiled. "Yes. Actually, it concerns your Defence group. The… ah, DA, I believe it's known as."

Harry blinked. "You know about that?" he asked in surprise.