The black haired Gryffindor rolled his eyes, glancing at his friend. "I'd rather you didn't spend another day vomiting slugs, Ron. Here." He returned the length of wood calmly, staring pointedly at the other until he turned moodily and returned to the pack of Gryffindors.

Harry made a show of shoving the hawthorn wand back at Draco, pressing it into his chest. As he did so, though, he leaned closer and hissed urgently, "Your eyes! Lower your eyes!"

For a second, the blonde stared back at him in perplexity before realisation hit. Instantly – and for the first time in his life – he did what Potter told him, silently cursing himself.

Sure enough, using the tip of his tongue, he could feel the slight point of his front teeth, and knew that the dark metal grey of his eyes must have changed to the eerie white-blue Severus had described.

It was his temper. The features were showing through because he was angry. Fuck, this was going to be impossible.

xxx

When classes were over, he was faced with the dilemma of explaining to his Housemates exactly why he wasn't going to be staying in the dorm room anymore.

"Uhm, Draco?" Blaise started off the discussion as he descended the stairs into the common room, having just dumped his work bag on his bed. "Is there a reason why all of your stuff is gone?"

Pansy, who had been prattling on mindlessly about something or other, fell sharply quiet and turned to look at the blonde.

Draco fell easily into the role he'd made up in his head, the practiced lie given to him by Dumbledore coming easily to his lips. He smirked smugly, every little detail about him screaming, I'm better than you.

"Father thinks it's ridiculous for a boy my age to be sharing a room. Especially a Malfoy. He's convinced the Headmaster to give me my own."

Blaise raised an impressed eyebrow and let out a low whistle, while Pansy suddenly took on a calculating look. "Imagine the privacy…" Not bothering to be coy, she looked Draco up and down suggestively and winked.

He rolled his eyes, used to her flirting. "Yes, very subtle, Pansy."

She laughed. "Who wants to be subtle?"

Blaise dropped into a chair by the fire, a book falling open in his lap. He looked up at Draco to ask, "Hey, you're still going to hang out here in the common room, though, aren't you?"

He tutted. "Obviously. I'm not a hermit, Blaise." Shaking his head, he moved to the nearest table and dropped his bag onto it, intending to get at least one essay done.

Pansy stared at him. "You're not doing homework now? Class only finished ten minutes ago!"

He shrugged. "I have a lot to do," he answered defensively.

"Geek," she accused, grinning.

Draco blinked in surprise, struck wordless for the moment. That, he had to admit, was a first. "I am not a geek!" he managed finally.

She raised an eyebrow. "Whatever. Let us know before you leave tonight, okay?" And with that she disappeared into the girls' dormitory, leaving Draco to glare after her and Blaise attempting to hide his amusement.

xxx

Eventually, of course, it couldn't be put off any longer. He said his goodbyes and left the Slytherin common room, ghosting through the deserted dungeon halls toward his new room. Lilith, the portrait, made eyes at him, but other than to speak the password – "Draconis." – he ignored her.

Stepping inside made him shiver. The only impression of his new living quarters to make any impact on him was… quiet. It was so quiet, so empty. He was used to noise and activity, used to constant interaction, whether it was positive or negative.