One of the "perks" of being a werewolf. It's hard to have privacy even in your own mind when werewolves communicate through MindLink. It's a piece of technology implanted at the base of our brain that allows us to telepathically communicate with each other. Because this piece of technology has been kept a secret from the humans, it helps the MindLink stay virtually undetectable.

"Maybe we could go for a little run," he said with a wink.

"Won't we get in trouble if we're late?"

"Nah, it's not an emergency meeting or anything."

I smiled and punched his arm.

"Fine... I'll race ya!"

"You're on!" he said.

"One-" I started, but stopped as soon as I saw Jake shift into his wolf form and run far ahead of me.

"Cheater!" I shouted as I shifted and ran after him.

He was way ahead of me, but it didn't take me long to catch up to him. He looked back for a split second and I quickly took the advantage. I tackled him and we rolled down the hill, laughing, or at least as much as you can in wolf form. When we finally stopped rolling, I said through the link,

'That's what you get for cheating, you loser.'

'Whatever, you do it all the time!' he said.

'Yeah but I can; you can't!' I retaliated.

'That makes no sense!'

We soon shifted back to our human forms and put on a change of clothes. I was distracted for the moment so I didn't notice that Jake was sneaking up behind me. I yelped as I was quickly shoved to the ground. Jake, of course, burst into laughter.

Oh, I am so going to get him back.

Recovering, I jumped up and pulled him down with me. We laughed and tried to stand up, but we slipped and fell back down again. I forgot that it had recently rained the night before, making the ground super soft. By the time we got back up again, we were covered in mud.

"Oh no!" I exclaimed.

"What?" Jake said.

"Look how muddy we are!"

He simply laughed to which I responded, "It's not funny!"

"Well, it was your fault anyway," he said.

"Ugh, I can't go to the meeting like this!"

"Speaking of the meeting," he said, walking closer, "I wonder what could be so important that we would have to be taken out of school. Not that I mind anyway." He smiled playfully.

"Not sure. Maybe I could find something out..."

What's interesting about MindLink is that some people are able to transmit what is going on to other members of the pack who either can't be there, or are being cared for at the moment and want to know what's taking place. Usually, my mother is the one who transmits what is being said to others who aren't present at the time.

In a way, It's almost like listening to a radio transmission of another station. It comes in handy when we send out ambassadors to other packs on diplomatic missions because they can be informed about what's going on without having to be there in person. After a moment of concentration, I finally found my mother's Link and listened in.