t w e l v e

PART TWELVE ❦

PART TWELVE

AFTER THE THE FIRST LETTER, BALON GREYJOY had left Malaena in silence for months—she had assumed their relationship had ended there, she was disowned, that was the end of their story. But the day King Baratheon was supposed to arrive, a Raven came for her.

Catelyn Stark had passed her the tiny scrawl at dinner. She had sucked in a breath when she noticed the Greyjoy seal. She tediously broke open the wax, pulling apart the thin ends of parchment slowly.

The cursive was almost unreadable, pure chicken scratch. Balon Greyjoy hadn't obtained a servant for this letter, this was personal, and he had taken it upon himself to break the news.

Malaena,

As I did not receive a reply to my first letter nor did you return to the Iron Islands, I am assuming you did not heed my warning. But I am forgiving father with my children, so I have given you a second chance and a wonderful opportunity.

I have arranged for you to wed a nobleman from the Riverlands. The heir of Halmon Paege, Aeron. A carriage of will be sent to pick you up sometime soon, manned by Greyjoy and Paege soldiers alike. The wedding will sooner than later.

You're sincerely welcome,

Balon Greyjoy

Malaena knew he hadn't arranged this marriage for her own well-being, he had done it to upset her, to rip her away from her new normality and Theon. He was probably gaining something from it as well—land, gold.

Sansa peered over Malaena's shoulder. "What does it say?"

Sansa's bright eyes scrolled through the letter quickly, her mouth pulling downward with every word. "You're to wed Aeron Paege? But he's hardly even noble! The Tully's rule over them. That's beneath you!"

Malaena appreciated her concern even if misguided. "That's my father for you," she said, reading the words over and over, too afraid to gauge the reaction to Sansa's outburst.

"He's punishing me."

A chair scraped across the wooden floor with a startling noise, everyone's heads instinctively turning towards it. Jon stood up abruptly, glancing around the table at anyone but her. "Er, I've got to," he cleared his throat, "head to the stables."

She wanted to call after him but couldn't. They weren't supposed to expose their affair. Malaena finally looked up at the people surrounding her, cautiously. The majority of them, at least those would understood the situation, gave her expressions of pity.

"I grew up with Halmon," Catelyn spoke softly. "He was an honourable man. I'm convinced his son will be the same."

Malaena nodded slowly, standing up. She threw the parchment on the table with her leftover food and excused herself.