f o u r

CHAPTER FOUR❦

CHAPTER FOUR

AFTER DINNER MALAENA WAS about to have her handmaiden, Doreena, prepare her for bed when there was a soft knock on her door.

Her handmaiden paused.

"Would you like me to answer that, m'lady?"

Malaena nodded. "Yes, please."

The woman swiftly retied the strings of Malaena's corset and redressed her before heading to the door. Malaena sat had her vanity, patiently waiting for her return. Through the mirror, Malaena saw Jon on the other side of the dark wooden door. She swivelled around in her seat as he maneuvered his head to see past her handmaiden. He greeted her with a lopsided smile and Malaena waved his way.

"He wishes to enter, m'lady," Doreena turned. "Is that all right with you?"

"Yes, let him in."

Doreena stepped away from the door to let Jon into her chamber and Malaena stood to greet him, a questioning look on her face.

"What do I owe the pleasure, Jon Snow?"

Jon had fur coat slung over his shoulder, that matched the one he wore. He pulled it down and held it out to her.

Confused, and hesitantly, Malaena grabbed the fur, unfolding it until it hung from her grip and pooled on the floor.

"You said you wanted to go for a ride," he gestured to the coat. "I'm here to take you. I didn't expect you to own anything warm enough—so I brought you one of mine."

Malaena turned around to hide the grin she was biting back and shrugged the fur coat over her shoulders. It was too large, hanging loosely off her body and trailing on the ground, but it was warm and it was soft. She hugged it around herself and turned back to Jon.

"That is very kind of you." Her eyes flew over him in admiration. "I hadn't taken you to be so bold. I thought I would have to come found you again before you took me for a ride."

He peered at her through the loose tendrils that had fallen into his eyes. His gaze was wary, yet held a glimmer of excitement. Malaena guessed he thought she might turn him away—but she was hopeful she wouldn't.

"I'm usually not, my lady. For you, I decided to take the risk."

She shook her head, hiding her amusement.

"Doreena," Malaena turned to her handmaiden who was standing quietly in the doorway. "You're dismissed for now."

The young woman nodded and left Malaena's chamber.