e l e v e n

PART ELEVEN❦

PART ELEVEN

"THE KING IS COMING TO WINTERFELL," Eddard Stark announced to the full breakfast table. "His hand has passed and he comes to the North, I believe, to seek me as a replacement."

Malaena glanced up from her porridge, surprised and slightly nervous. Robert Baratheon did not necessarily like the Greyjoy family, actually he loathed them all. She couldn't remember him, not really — only a vague image of a bearded man formed in her mind at the mention of his name — but she would always remember what he did to her brothers, Theon included.

"He will come with his whole family. They shall arrive in a fortnight."

Malaena squirmed on her stool, as did Sansa, but for different reason — the young redhead seemed giddy at the news of the royal family's appearance. Malaena knew why; it was Sansa Stark's dream to be the perfectly lady and for that she needed a noble man. Who more noble than the heir to the throne?

"I need to make a new dress," she said to Malaena in a hushed tone, not wanting to talk over her father. "Oh, should it be blue? Maybe pink?"

Malaena let out a lengthy breath. "You just made a dress, a beautiful green gown, which you haven't worn — why not save that?"

"Because that one is hideous!" Sansa replied in her usual dramatics. "I heard Queen Cersei has an affliction for the finer things, such as fabrics, stitches, and jewels—she won't even look twice at me in that green monstrosity."

"Well can I have it?" Malaena liked the way the cool forest green paired with her hazel eyes.

"No!" Sansa said quickly. "...But I guess you can wear it if you'd like, at least you won't upstage me."

"You're a rare woman, Sansa," Malaena grinned at her unconventional friend. "Never change."

Sansa sat up straighter, flicking her fiery locks over her shoulder.

"...As I was saying, girls," Eddard Stark paused his spiel to give the two girls stern glances, "you all need to be on your best behaviour. I, nor Catelyn will not tolerate a toe out of line. Remember you manners and proper etiquette."

At the word manners and etiquette, Malaena turned to her brother. "Theon, do you even know what those words mean? Don't worry, my brother — I'll teach you, if you'd like."

"Shut your mouth—"

"Thank you, Greyjoy's for providing me with the perfect example of what not to do," Eddard raised a warning brow to both of them. "Squabble all you want now — I better not hear any of it when Robert arrives."

Across the table, and out of his father's sight, Jon Snow smirked at her across the table, amused by her scolding. Malaena reacted as subtly as she could: by kicking his shin underneath the table. His smug smile just widened in reaction.

After being dismissed, the crowd dispersed into various hallways, all having different agendas for the day. Malaena moved left to follow Sansa but was halted by someone grabbing the draping sleeve of her gown. She spun around to an amused Jon.

"Can you one day without being scolded or is it your goal to get in trouble as many times as you possibly can?"

She paused, pretending to think about his preposition. "Well, life's not all that fun when you only follow the rules. Maybe you should try getting in trouble sometime."

"Maybe you could teach me."

Her stomach knotted in anticipation, her lips curling at the scruffy boy before her. "Hmm, first lesson—follow me to the west tower."

His rough fingers entwined with hers, lightly leading her up the winding staircase. "Happily."

Malaena gazed out the slim tower window in a haze, watching Theon and Robb fool around in the field, while Jon softly kissed her neck. Their laughs echoed through the tower walls.

"If Theon or Robb look up, they'll catch us." She said but she didn't really care, too content to be bothered moving.

"I'd move but it's too tempting to stay where I am."

She gave him a playful side-eye. "You're such a romantic—I almost don't know how to react. The Iron Island men think romance is asking first—not as if that's basic respect."

"They're a terrible bunch," Jon said, not caring if offended her. She elbowed him softly. "You included."

Malaena turned around, pressing her back against the brick wall. "I'll ignore that this time. How did you feel about the King of the Seven Kingdoms visiting?"

"I don't feel anything about it," Jon shrugged, void of emotion. "I don't care where he comes and goes—I do care about Ned, though. He doesn't want to be his hand and I don't blame him."

"It's a thankless job," Malaena agreed. "But they're friends, aren't they? Do you think he'll do it?"

Jon let out a ragged breath. "I do. He doesn't want to but his honour is everything to him, he feels like he owes Robert."

"I don't want to see him." Malaena said quietly. "As a kid, he was the monster under my bed, my reoccurring nightmare."

"He took my brothers from me, slaughtered most and kept one—held hostage by an enemy," she continued, her voice dropping an octave. "Everyday I worried he'd come back and take Yara or my mother, and now I have to look him in the eye and curtsey."

Jon wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her close so her head was on his shoulder. She nuzzled her head into the warmth of his neck while he soothingly rubbed her back.

"I know it's hard but he's not an evil man, people do terrible things at war," Jon tried to comfort her. "He's not a monster, just a man. Look him in the eye, curtsey, and then he'll be gone and it'll be over."

Malaena nodded, placing a peck on the base of his neck. "You're right."

Jon hummed in response, still rubbing her back.

"What about Cersei Lannister—do you think she's as evil as the rumours portray?"

"She's a Lannister," Jon said humorously. "I'd say she's worse."

Malaena laughed into the soft fabric of Jon's cloak, swaying with him, content and comfortable.

AND SO WE HAVE THE BEGINNING OF THE END OF HAPPY TIMES. This chapter is kind of a filler but it does have a few cute moments between Jon and Malaena! The next chapter is a bit juicer.