Chapter Eight: Aftershock

He had somehow already tidied up the sitting room, as there were no Cybermen to be found. If it wasn't for the broken window, no one would ever have suspected there had been an alien fight in our flat.

When I walked him to the door, he eyed the sofa and half-smiled.

"I spy something blue & out of place," he proclaimed, swinging around with his hands in his pockets to look at me with those child-like eyes. To say goodbye again.

I snickered half-heartedly & he sighed at my dejectedness.

"You humans! Why must you all get so attached, hm? Do you think it's easier for me to just leave you all behind? You fragile creatures with your one heart and your...your...oversized teacups!"

He was on a bit of a rampage, but I  laughed nonetheless.

I wondered if I was dreaming. I wondered if maybe I'd fallen asleep at the theatre, watching the film with Sam. I wondered when she was going to wake me up & I was hoping she never would.

Because a life with the Doctor--no matter how dangerous & no matter how topsy-turvy--was an exciting one. A meaningful one.

And I would take a Cyberman crashing through my window any day of the week if it meant the Doctor came as an aftershock.

But I was a coward. I was the girl who hid in cupboards & who flinched away from blue lights. I was not good enough for the Doctor and he must have known, because he was leaving me behind for the second time in four years.

His eyes narrowed contemplatively.

"Wait here," he said & spun out of the room, leaving me no time to even process his order.

I sat on the couch & did as he said, though: I waited. And waited. And after about t hirty minutes, I heard the whirring sound I'd eventually become accustomed to hearing: the sound of the TARDIS.

The broken glass crunched under my feet as I met him at the hole where the window used to be, where he'd "parked" the TARDIS on our fire escape.

"This," he said, taking my hand & enclosing my fingers around a small, silver key,"is a key to the TARDIS."

I stared at it, bug eyed & gasped.

"Does that mean--"

"I can't bring you with me. I...I've ruined too many people, and I can't--I won't ruin you, Talia, I will not." He looked me in the eyes deliberately & squeezed my hand shut over the key. "But if we should ever meet again, if you're in trouble and you see something blue and out of place, open it. You don't need to hide in cupboards for as long as I'm around, do you understand?"

*Hey guys! So the end of this chapter made me sort of emotional & I chose to end it abruptly. :) Thank you all for voting & subscribing, & I REALLY appreciate the feedback I've gotten so far. I'd like to give a shout to mrs_dixon97. If you like my story, you might want to check hers out as well!  As ALWAYS, feel free to let me know how you feel about the story, my writing, anything!  Comment/Share!*