Chapter Sixteen: The Lost Adventure

I stared at him, wide-eyed.
"A BURGLAR!" Mrs. Hudson screamed.
For once, the Doctor had no idea what to say. He stood in the doorway, staring at us.
I spun around to hush her,"Oh no, Mrs. Hudson, I....um"
SHIT! I had no idea what to say.
"You know this man?" she asked, still panicked.
I breathed a sigh of relief,"Yes. Yes ma'am."
"Oh....oh! Well I'll just leave you two to it, then. Give you some space," she handed the tea tray over with an insinuative smirk.
I opened my mouth to argue, but she was already at the foot of the stairs, giggling like a school girl.

I sighed again, but in exasperation this time.
"SERIOUSLY?!" I spun around & shoved him into the sitting room, slamming the door behind us.
"Well there's no need for shoving, is there!"
"You could have at least said SOMETHING! You choose the most ridiculous times to forget how to be wity! This is JUST like the time Sicklefores almost killed us because they though you were shagging the queen--"
"Oh, don't be so dramatic. She's only your landlord! I hardly think she'll be leading an army up those stairs anytime soon. Frankly, I'm surprised she can make her own way up them."
"Excuse you! I'll have you know that Mrs. Hudson is a strong, independent young lady. Especially in comparison to you, grandpa!" I shouted teasing from my bedroom where I'd gone to change, as usual.

He was silent the entire time I was rummaging for pants, and while I brushed my teeth--not a word. I was beginning to think he'd gone until I heard the familiar sonicy hum.
He was searching for something.
"What are you doing?" I asked, shutting off the lights as I did every time we left in the TARDIS.
"Nothing!" he spun around, smoothly returning the screwdriver to its home in the inside pocket of his tweed.
"So!" he clapped his hands together as he strode to the window. 
"Why'd you park on the fire escape this time?"
"Oh...there was...a bee! In the TARDIS! And I couldn't steer, for all the swatting that was going on."
"See, why couldn't you lie like that to Mrs. Hudson?"
He gasped, "LIE?! Well, I never!"
"Oh, c'mon Doctor. We're just on different time lines, right? How many times have we gone away for you?"
He glared at me as we stood in the moonlight just inside my window.
"Eleven," he finally gave in.
"Eleven? So this is eleven, or we've been on eleven?"

"This is eleven."
"Oh," I looked away,"...Well, let's get going then, yeah?"
"Oh? 'OH' what?! What was that 'Oh'?"
"It's nothing!" I climbed through the window, "Now come on, Doctor, don't we have somewhere to be?"
"I don't know, Talia, do we?"

When we started going on adventures regularly, we'd keep track of our time lines by counting the times we'd seen each other & comparing. I had always been on one more than the Doctor until my twelfth adventure. I hadn't even heard the TARDIS land in my bedroom, but for him it was the first time he'd done it. I awoke to a cup of tea & a tray of Jammy Dodgers, along with a tall Doctor smiling down at me from the rocking chair I'd recently added beside my bed.
He'd made a habit of waking me up that way when he had the chance, ever since. However, he never did tell me what it was that had happened that day. All he'd ever say was:
"Spoilers."
In the present, the Doctor stared at me, wide-eyed.
"What did you just say?" he asked.
"You heard me. Spoilers! Now come along. Let's not wake the entire neighborhood."

~~~
The TARDIS jerked & moaned, which was not completely unusual. I did seem to remember the past few rides being a little more smooth,  though.

"Talia, how long has it been since we last met accidentally?"

"What do you mean?"

"When was the last time I didn't visit you on purpose?" He clutched onto the console manicly.
"Three years. Why?" I suddenly realized why he'd been sonicing my entire flat: Every time we meet accidentally,  there's trouble.

"Hold on tight, little human."

*Hey guys! How do you all like the pet name 'little human' ? I mean, Eleven's  companions always have nicknames: The Girl Who Waited, Pond, Rory the Roman, Souffle Girl! So how is 'little human' looking to you guys?
*