Chapter 6: Ronnie

Magsimula sa umpisa

                “How could you lose to someone like that?!”  He slaps him across the face but Blake doesn’t react.  “I’ve trained you better than that, you could’ve killed her but you didn’t!”  Another slap across his face.  “How could you let her win?!”

                I suck in another breath and listen carefully for what Blake has to say.  He is barely audible over the conversations people are having.  But I can make it out.  “I didn’t allow her to win!”  He stammers.  His voice shaky.  “She is good, almost too good.  Either she’s taken fighting classes before or . . .” he looks around making sure Kimberley isn’t there, “Or she could be a spy?”

                I turn away when James punches Blake again across the cheek then the other.  I can hear now Blake is crying and James just slaps him again.  No one is doing anything.  How can people be so oblivious? “You are a soldier, there is no crying!  She’s too young to be a spy and if she was she would’ve killed you!  Get out of my sight and meet me for training at three, don’t be late!”  James storms out of the restaurant leaving Blake in his tracks.  I take in a deep breath but breathe in some dust.  My nose itches and I feel a sneeze coming.  I hold my breath trying to stop it but the dust is so itchy and a loud sneeze escapes my mouth. 

                I look down at Blake. He turns his eyes upward until we lock stares.  His face was red from the beating and his eyes had tears running down them, but he clenches a fist angry that he found me.  I smile nervously and tuck my head in tighter to my body like a turtle, “Hi.”

                He grabs a knife from his belt and I’m ready to run off the beam.  But he surprises me by sighing and putting the knife back into its place on his belt, “I am not eager to have a fight with you Ronnie.  Just leave me alone.”  He walks to an empty table by the window facing to the outdoors and sits.  I crawl/leap down from the beam and land crouching.  When I realize what I just did I stop for a minute to comprehend it.  I just climbed that, which was something I could never do, in public.  I look at my small hands.  How could I do that?  I shake the thought away and walk over to Blake.  He turns his knife in his hand over and over again, the sun reflecting off it. 

                I look down at him and stay there waiting for the knife to spear my rib cage.  It doesn’t.  “Why just kill me now, if you want to so badly?”  He stops his knife twirling and looks up at me.  “If I want to become a criminal I’ll kill you.”  He rests his head on his hand, sliding his knife back into his belt.  I perk an eyebrow and sit down.  He doesn’t make any gesture for me to leave.  Instead he looks up at me but still has narrowed eyes.  “What do you want?”  He hisses.

                “An answer.  Why do you hate my sister so much?”  I ask.  He sighs and leans back in a chair.  A waitress comes over dressed in a black uniform with her hair pulled back into a low ponytail.  “What can I get yawl?”

                “Coke, with a splash of vodka,” I almost fly off my chair because of that.  Wasn’t vodka that alcoholic stuff that made you dreary?  I am positive.  I am only seven, and he was only nine, Kimberley’s age!  “Alright and for you, sweetie?” 

                I hesitate but clear my throat and answer.  “Uh, we can’t drink alcohol miss.”  I say.  “The age is 21, right, well he’s only nine.”   The waitress looks at me with a confused expression.  Then turns to Blake.  He sighs, “She’s new here, and she’ll take water, please.” 

                “Alrighty,” she grins while finishing her writing, then walks away, her dress bouncing behind her.  I turn to Blake in confusion.   “Vodka?  How do you know what that is, let alone drink it!”