Chapter 43: The Forgotten Past

Start from the beginning

After a few minutes of me staring at the opened door of the room where General Lee just went into, he walked right out of it, carrying a box with him. The box he held with his hands had the size of a shoebox. He lent the box in front of me, waiting for me to receive it. I took it from him gently and placed it on my lap.

“I was ordered by the king to guard the kingdom, to keep the barrier intact by giving me small amounts of the barrier’s powers, and to give this to you. Knowing that the time he wanted me to give this to you is still too far, he provided my needs by bearing the only fruit trees around my home and made a well for my water. He prepared all this, weeks before Jezzy attacked the kingdom 22 years ago.”

I looked at him in surprise and quickly observed the box on my lap. The box was wrapped in leather, and seeing how the colors look faded, this was already years old. I slowly took the lid off while General Lee continued to speak.

“He also told me that all of this, everything that happened starting from your father’s death until right now, is going accordingly by Late Queen Rein of Sunny Kingdom’s prophecy.”

As he finished his sentence, the lid of the box was already off, and there came out strong streaks of light. The lights were shining yellow and I could see the glitter in these rays of lights. I placed my arm in front of my eyes, preventing the intense rays from hitting them. I don’t want to get blind just yet.

The rays of light don’t seem to stop though. They keep on getting brighter and brighter that I had to close my eyes. I don’t feel any heat but man, the light makes me want to peel my skin off! But not literally, of course.

“What’s in this box, general? The light doesn’t seem to go off.” I asked General Lee, not understanding why the box seemed so important. A few seconds passed but I hear no reply.

“General?” I called again, my arm still in front of my closed eyes. Like a while ago, I don’t hear any reply from him. Where is he?

“General Lee. Are you there—hOLY MOLLY WHERE AM I?!” I blurted out shockingly, because as soon as I removed my arm from my eyes, I’m surrounded by vintage-colored houses, people, and kids! I squeaked out of nervousness.

Who took me here and why now? That witch could crash in General Lee’s home in less than 2 seconds and I’m not even there to protect him!

I quickly walked towards the middle-aged woman who was selling silk just by the street. I knelt down to meet her gaze and bowed to give respect.

“Uhm, hi and good afternoon, miss. Do you know where we are right now?” I asked, trying not to sound desperate when in reality, I really am. But it’s as if she didn’t hear me and continued to call out customers. I stood up and tried to get her attention but her gaze would always go elsewhere.

I’m really, really desperate to go back now!

“I’m sorry miss but I really have to know where we are—” I tried to touch her hand to let her focus on me, but instead I was horrified to see that my hand just slipped past hers. My eyes widen in shock. What just happened?

I gave up on asking the woman and tried to approach the man standing beside her. Like what happened with the woman, he would avert his eyes elsewhere when I’m standing in front of him, and my hand would slip past his. I was even more horrified when he suddenly walked straight ahead, passing through me as if I was not even there to begin with.

They can’t see me? Why?

“I’m finally going to be a father! Everyone, I’m going to be a father!”

I jumped in shock when a loud voice suddenly interrupted the busy streets of this vintage-looking village. I looked for the source of the voice and saw no one but crowds. Where did that came from?