Chapter 43: The Forgotten Past

YOONA

“How did you know I was the princess? I don’t remember myself introducing to you.” After wiping the joyful tears from my eyes, I asked him, this General Lee Dong Wook. He gave a small smile and pointed at me.

“The necklace that you’re wearing, your highness. I remember Princess Cassandra, your mother, putting that on you when you were still an infant back then.” I looked at him weirdly and in disbelief. What is this guy saying? I don’t remember putting on jewelry back in the castle. I quickly checked my neck as I speak.

“But I’m not wearing such—” I stopped midway when I touched a chain wrapped around my neck. I looked down in shock to see that I was really wearing a necklace! A very familiar necklace!

“H-how did this happen? I didn’t even put it.” I asked to no one in particular. General Lee didn’t speak, knowing that he has no answer as to how and why a thing like this just happened. We stayed quiet, the both of us not muttering any words.

As I continue to ponder on my thoughts, I realized that I’m still not safe, that I and this man in front of me were still in the danger zone. Staying silent for this long equals to the increasing chances of us getting killed by the witch. She’s probably still looking for me, to kill me and maybe, end it all in her way.

I can’t let that happen.

“What happened to this place?” I asked General Lee, after how many minutes of silence. The general in front of me formed a thin line with his lips and sat at the chair across me.

“A lot, your highness. As far as I could remember, the unfortunate begun before I could even save my own family.” He replied with a grim smile. “It was around that time, 2 months before your first birthday and when I was still a meek soldier, when the cruel witch made chaos to this place.”

I clutched the hem of my now dirty shirt as I patiently wait for General Lee’s long explanation. I have to know what really happened behind the barrier of this hidden kingdom, where I was originally from.

“First off, it was the late king, your grandfather, who put up this protective shield.” He gestured towards the open window, where the barrier could be clearly seen. “For the first years, this barrier was indeed strong, preventing unwanted beasts from getting in. I could sometimes see the disastrous things happening outside the barrier, compared to the inside where everything is normal and quiet.” He broke his gaze from the window towards the floor beneath him as he sighed.

“But the normal and quiet of this kingdom did not last long.”

“Why did the late king—my grandfather per say—put up the barrier? What for?” I asked, still needing answers from the man.

“It was to keep the witch from entering the kingdom’s premises. The king knew that Jezzy is a revengeful witch and avenging is the only thing she’s great at. To think that the witch is now in this very kingdom, it just so means that the barrier is already losing its power. She found a way to get through it.” He answered in a bitter tone, obviously displeased. I gulped, feeling a bit tensed.

“Do you happen to know why Jezzy is this intent on revenging this kingdom?” I blurted out, curiosity getting the best of me.

I felt a tad bit disappointed when he shook his head no.

“Over the past 22 years, I also asked that very question to myself.” He added, making me more disappointed.

“Tell me why you’re the only living person in this kingdom then.” I changed the subject, seeing that there’s probably a bit time left before the unexpected will happen. I raised an eyebrow when General Lee suddenly stood up, muttered a small ‘wait for a second’ before going towards a room.