Part 2: Fighting and Losing

"Acnologia." You don't remember much after that. Just bullets of hurt and then blood and you try but he's locked your arm in a moment.

"So this is Fairy Tail's great Y/N. Hmph. I should've known better." You can barely breathe, much less roast him.

"Your... Face... *GURGLE* Is..." THINK OF A COMEBACK THINK OF A COMEBACK THINK OF A COMEBACK. Your ears ring and your eyes are blind from the whipping sand but you think he's laughing. Acnologia punches you in the gut. How dare he... Not let you finish... Your comeback... Stay awake, Y/N... Everything hurts...

When you wake up it's dark. You can barely make out crumbling brown rock formations. You're lying on the rough stone floor of a cave. All the wounds you got in your "fight" with Acnologia seem to be dressed in pastes and bandages, and the sharp pains have become dull aches. 

But the most pressing matter is... Acnologia beat you! HOW COULD YOU LET THAT HAPPEN Y/N YOU'RE SUPPOSED TO BE THE BEST IN FAIRY TAIL! 

You're interrupted from your thoughts by Acnologia's approaching footsteps. You play dead to hide your shame from losing the fight. 

"Playing dead, are we now?" Acnologia chuckles. 

"Your... Face... Is a... Chili... Pepper..." You manage to mumble. 

"Your face is dead." 

"Ha... Ha... *GURGLE*." 

"I'll be back in a month. Any questions?" Probably not. He'll just answer them with his fists. You spend the month training as hard as you can in the cave. 

When he comes back, you fight again. This time it's a little better. And by a little better you mean you try to hit him twice instead of once. Then he's gone. By the 12th time you fight, which is a year later, you're still not able to land a hit on him. 

"WHY CAN'T I EVER TOUCH YOU!" 

"Y/N, I'm literally thousands of years old. I've been throwing punches and doing daddy dragon things longer than you've been alive. Now come at me again." 

I lunge at him, but he slides out of the way. "You're so powerful. Why do you still insist on fighting me?"

"Because." Acnologia leans in so close that your vision crosses. 

"I feel like it." Then he's gone. 

The next time he comes, you end up on the floor.

"What happened."

"If... If I can't even hit you, how am I supposed to fight?"

"Try." Like always, you aim for Acnologia's face. But he intercepts your arm and holds it there.

"YAAH!" You scream in frustration. Desperately, you slink back and lower your head. Then you leap, aiming your head at his chest. Acnologia kicks your stomach, almost parallel with the ground, with his steel-ballet toes.

"OOMPH."

"What."

"The ceiling *COUGH* hurts as much as the floor." Your stomach is on the cold rock. Your spine is attacked by drafts. You try to get up, one arm already aiming for his face. Acnologia's fingers immediately press your forearms onto the ground again. You can feel his hot breath above. He's about to head-butt you or bite you, but you're not sure which...