⇾ safe

a chapter request for an underrated fav; lucas <3

summary: you get impatient and explore the upside down ( the dirt tunnel things from s2 ) by yourself. lucas is worried sick and helps heal your injuries when they eventually find you.

( made some shit up in here so pls dont attack me with "tHaT nEvEr HaPpEnEd ?!11!1!!" lmao )

the crisp grass flattened under the weight of my black chucks.
up ahead i could see the loose pile of dirt stacked beside the wide hole in the ground.

taking a deep breath, i slipped my blue bandana over my mouth and mumbled words of encouragement to myself,
"okay, it'll be fine. it'll all be good. right? i mean, all your friends'll be pissed and lucas probably won't talk to you again but that's okay.... right? ..."

i sat myself down on the edge of the entrance, taking one final breath before hopping down.
the drop was significantly further than expected.
my knees buckled beneath me sending me tumbling to the muddy ground.
"woah, shit!"

using the walls to steady myself, i stood and finally got a good look at where i was.
with the slight help of my dim flashlight i saw what was seemingly never ending tunnels of dirt and vines.

after a good 5 minute walk of choking on dust and falling repeatedly in the dirt, i'd hit a fork in the road. my hands balanced on my hips as i tried to decide which way to go.

"uhhhh, fuck it. eeny-meeny-miney-moe... you." i concluding, pointing to the left passage.

as i began heading down the left, a vine slowly slipped itself around my ankle.
i fell and hit my head on the thick tree root behind me.
"shit! what the fuck?!"
more vines slithered their way in my direction, pulling me in tighter the more i struggled.

realizing the actual danger i'm in, i began screaming for help.
"lucas! mike! dustin! help me! anyone!"

at this point, my legs were completely tangled with the vines and my wrists were strapped down as well.

a pang of hope hit me upon seeing flashlight ahead.
"here! i'm over here! help me, please !!"
i shouted as the lights got closer.

when they finally reached me, i saw it was all my friends.
both relief and guilt shot through me, knowing i shouldn't have been down here in the first place.

"y/n! what the hell?"
dustin and mike cut away the vines tying down my body as lucas tried to pull me up.

the three of us quickly made our way back out of the tunnels, my arm slung over lucas's shoulder as i limped along.

upon getting back to the byers' house, lucas gently set me down on a dining room chair before scolding me.

"y/n, what were you thinking?! i mean, seriously! you could've got yourself hurt. hell, you did get yourself hurt! y/n/n, you could've died!"

"i'm sorry, lukey. i didn't mean to upset you, i was just impatient."

"yea," he sighed, "i know."
lucas knelt in front of you to get a better look at your injured leg.
you rolled up your pants revealing a severely bruised and cut-up leg.

the boy winced before quickly wrapping it up and properly cleaning the cuts.

standing, i kept a steady grip on lucas's shoulder for balance as he held my waist to steady me.

"thanks, lucas."

"no problem, y/n/n"

a smile tugged at the corners of my mouth and i quickly hid my face in his shoulder, making him chuckle at my shy, childish behaviour.

staying like that for a while, dustin eventually chimes in, "ooooh, lukey's got a girrrrllllfrienddd??"

"wha- pshh.." lucas dismisses his teasing friend before blushing like crazy.
"shut up."

i quickly lifted my head and gently kissed his nose.

"thanks again, lukey."
i whispered to him before faintly limping over to the rest of the group.

thanks @yugyeomtrbl for requesting <3