19: The Confrontation

—STAMPYS POV—
I walked over to the sofa of my apartment. It was much the same as our old apartment in Manhattan. I didn't like change.
David struggled in the centre of the hall in his crutches,
"God, sit down." I ordered, indicating the seat opposite me. We were both tense, but a strong sensation of repulsion was overflowing me. He stole Beth from me.
"You fell in love with her.." I groaned, I wasn't meant to say it out loud, but it was inevitable.
"What did Beth tell you." He asked, wiping his brow, he looked a mess as well:
"Enough." I said, "Enough to know that you've been lying to me since I brought her home that day."
He shook his head, "that's a lie." He muttered,
"Then when did you fall in love! Why did you have to ruin the only life I had worth living?! Why did you have to steal her from me?!" I yelled, as if everything inside of me was bursting.
"If I'd have known she was the girl you would meet that night I never would have taken a second glance! But I didn't!" Shouted David, "and I tried so hard to persevere, but.. I couldn't hold back."
I leant back in confusion,
"Wait.. how long have you known Beth for?" I asked him.
David stared at me with painful eyes, as if I already knew the answer..
"Christmas Day." He said, breaking my heart.
I stood up immediately, looking out the window at the snowy city.
"Christmas Day.." I repeated, "the lady in red.. was her."
I looked down, feeling sick, "and..
And you didn't say a thing.. "
"I'm so sorry." Sighed David from behind me.
I felt tears begin to form around my eyes as I leant on the counter.
"You lied to me.. you lied and lied.."
"Joe.." he began,
"I know!" A tear meandered down my eye, "I know you're no worse than most.. but I thought you were better."
Those words seemed to hit him hard, he took a step back as I faced him, his eyes began to redden.
"I'm so sorry.." he whimpered, covering his mouth,
"No. Just shut up and listen." I told him, "listen! Don't cry! Listen! I never saw you as a man! I never saw you as a producer, a writer, my boss. I just saw you as my friend. And- and it destroys me that you've taken that away from me! I don't know what I see you as now! I defended you! I stood by you! I was proud to be your friend and- and now.. now I can't even look at you!"
We had both completely broken down now.
David's head was resting in his hands. I saw his shoulders jolt and I suddenly felt awful.
Who would have known just one girl would do this to us.
Just a couple of months ago we were best friends, and now we had completely fallen apart.
I slowly sat down beside David, looking at his broken leg and the huge wound on the side of his face.
"Y'know.. when the car crashed I thought you died. All I could think about was you." I told him, "because I knew you cared.
"I do care." Intruded David, "of course I care how could I not care?!" He wiped his eyes, "you were unconscious before the car crashed.. that's why I've been looking for you.. trying to get to you for so long."
David looked into my eyes, "I've asked you think before and I'll ask you it again.. are you okay?"
I hesitated, biting my lip, giving the same answer I gave the last time, but this time it had more meaning. More meaning than I could ever give.
"I don't know, David. I don't know." I whispered, my eyes watering.
David looked into my eyes before grabbing me and pulling me into a hug.
I felt so overwhelmed with emotions, part of me hated him, but knew that I wouldn't be around much longer..
"I'm quitting my job." Said David, suddenly.
"What?" I asked, pulling back.
"This isn't what I deserve. It's what you wanted.. this wasn't my dream." He responded,
"Is this just you trying to seem nice or are you moving in with Beth.." I asked,
David shook his head, "no.. no Beth and I aren't.."
"Why? Why aren't you together?" I asked, feeling infuriated again, "that's what she wanted! That's what you wanted! She's out there! She loves you! Why aren't you with her now?!" I yelled,
"Stamps..!" David said in shock, moving back.
"Oh! I bet she woke you up all romantically in hospital with a kiss, then when you were in bed with her you went all sensible! Thinking coming back here was the right thing to do!"
David looked down, shaking his head, "you know me too well.." he sighed, "that's exactly what happened."
I was shaken, feeling overly sad that our amazing friendship was coming to an end.
We took another moment of hesitation to catch our breath before I finally told him.
"I've got a brain tumour, David."
"I've got five months to live."
David sat frozen in the shock, I stood up, grabbing a sheet of paper from the table.
"This is my resignation statement.." I told him, "I don't expect any kind of pension. Just leave me be."
David nodded, a tear dripping from his eye.
He took the papers and left my flat, leaving me with an emotion I'd never felt before, complete emptiness.