Chapter 6: Letters of Various Kinds

Draco had only felt a little jealous when Harry and Ron appeared that evening to explain what had happened. It had sounded exciting, but they were in a lot of trouble because of it. Fred and George had seemed pretty irritated about it too. "Wish they'd told us," Fred muttered to Draco the next morning.

"Would have been a great way to start the year," George added. But their envy was short lived by the arrival of a red envelope. Draco couldn't help the smirk that found its way onto his face. Fred and George, too, looked excited by the prospect of their younger brother receive a Howler.

"Glad it's not you?" Draco said to the twins.

"Yeah, we really enjoy it when Mum's yelling at someone else," Fred stated. Ron looked terrified at the envelope, like it was going to attack him at any minute.

"Go on, Ron," Draco urged. "Open the Howler." Draco spoke loudly enough that the entire Gryffindor table had heard him, as well as a few of the Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws. Ron paled even more.

Finally, he opened the envelope, only to have it exploded around him. "–STEALING THE CAR, I WOULDN'T HAVE BEEN SURPRISED IF THEY'D EXPELLED YOU, YOU WAIT TILL I GET A HOLD OF YOU, I DON'T SUPPOSE YOU STOPPED TO THINK WHAT YOUR FATHER AND I WENT THROUGH WHEN WE SAW IT WAS GONE. WHEN WE RECEIVED THAT LETTER FROM DUMBLEDORE LAST NIGHT, I THOUGHT YOUR FATHER WAS GOING TO DIE OF SHAME, WE DIDN'T BRING YOU UP TO BEHAVE LIKE THIS, YOU AND HARRY COULD HAVE BOTH DIED! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED. YOUR FATHER'S FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT AND IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT BACK HOME!"

The red envelope burst into flames. A few people laughed, but mostly silence rang throughout the hall. Gradually, the conversations began again.

"Why didn't you two just Floo to Hogsmeade and then walk over?" Draco asked. "I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. Weasley would have been understanding."

"They didn't put a lot of thought into it," Hermione interjected. Ron just turned another unnatural shade of red and tried to hide his humiliation.

"D'you know what Ron?" Fred said finally, "I think there may be hope for you yet."

"How long do you think it'll be before you and Harry break some rule?" Draco questioned seriously. He wasn't being facetious. He honestly was wondering what his friends had in store for them all this year at Hogwarts.

"Leave them alone," Hermione commanded them. Nodding, Draco returned to his food, fully intending to let everyone eat in peace. But Granger had other plans. "And they're not going to get into trouble this year. They're going to study." Draco didn't believe her for one moment. If there was anything that Ron and Harry didn't do, it was study.

-----

Ron's mood hadn't improved by lunch. His wand had been broken in the whole flying car fiasco and Mrs. Weasley wasn't going to be buying him a new one any time soon. He looked like an idiot in McGonagall's class when he had been unable to turn a beetle into a button, like Hermione. In fact, his wand had emitted a strange gray smoke and the smell of rotten eggs filled the room.

"What've we got this afternoon?" Harry asked at lunch.

"Defense Against the Dark Arts," Hermione replied immediately.

"Why," Ron said, taking the schedule from her hands, "have you outline all Lockhart's lessons in little hearts."

Draco raised an eyebrow as he watched a blush creep across Hermione's face. She stole the schedule back from Ron. Granger didn't say anything in reply. What did she in that man? He was twice their age and their professor.