Chapter One - Two Opposite Kings

Start from the beginning

    Dan flushes.  "It's not exactly the easiest process when you're a royal."

    "Believe me, dear, I know.  Your mother came in here many times to talk to me about that very subject.  Hang in there and that person will show up when you least expect it."

    "Thank you, Rose."

    "You're welcome, dear."

    He gives her a few gold coins for the drink and thanks her again before departing, heading back towards the castle.  Autumn leaves fall from the trees and blow across the pavement as he walks, the air filled with the smell of harvest from nearby fields.  Large carts rumble down the streets filled with grains and pumpkins and other assorted vegetables, enough food for an entire kingdom and for trade.  In the coming weeks, farmers and bards will be sent out to the trade posts and will return with fruits, coffee, and other things that can't be grown in Tenebris.  The food will be distributed, bought, and sold, and when winter comes everyone will be set with enough provisions to make it through the colder months.  It's one of Dan's favourite times of the year, and his strolls through the village in autumn never fail to make him happy.  His kingdom is thriving, after all.  What could possibly make him sad?

    His reminder comes as soon as he steps through the doors of the castle once again.  Advisors rag on him about spending too much time doing nothing.  His parents pester him about not running the kingdom effectively enough.  His little brother complains that they don't spend enough time together.  The weight of responsibility rests heavily on his shoulders, and when he finally settles into bed for the night he lies alone and stares up at the ceiling, just him and his thoughts.  Sometimes, he's tired of listening to himself think.  Despite the season and the kind people of Tenebris, he still finds that he's unbearably sad at times.  His own problems, though, can be pushed aside for the sake of the kingdom.  If his people are happy, he's happy.

    Usually, that's his last thought before he falls asleep.

——

    King Philip sits in his office, sunlight streaming in through the windows and heating up his back.  From that window, he can see the mountains silhouetted against the sky and Divum spread out below the castle, nestled among the hills and peaks of the North.  He likes gazing out at the scenery when he's alone, and he finds it unfortunate that he is currently not alone.

    "Sire, we have some concerns about the southern kingdom of Tenebris.  We have heard some rumours that are less than savoury, as well as some unfortunate facts. It has been reported that the royal family has magic that is black in colour, and we believe that this is cause for concern and that the people there may be under the control of sinister forces," one of his advisors states. 

    "On top of that, we believe that the resources in Tenebris will benefit the people of Divum.  The mountains is an unfortunate place to try and grow crops, and after a bad summer our smaller towns have very small amounts of food that actually survived.  It's barely enough to feed everyone, your majesty," the other says.

    Phil exhales, his blue eyes flitting to the window for a moment before turning back to the advisors.  "So if we go and conquer Tenebris, we gain resources and save the people from the rule of a dark king?"

    "Precisely."

    "Wouldn't a trade agreement be better?"

    "I doubt the king would be willing to make a trade agreement if we have nothing to give them in return.  And, from what we can gather, their defences are strong and they have no known allies.  This leads us to assume that they're under the rule of an oppressive monarch."

    "I will consider our options."

    The advisors bow and exit the office, leaving Phil to his lonesome.  The king stands and moves to the window, peering out at the kingdom below.  The lack of food in Divum is something that he had suspected and has just now been confirmed.  Due to the mountainous geography of Divum, food can only be grown in smaller towns farther out from the castle.  A particularly bad bout of disease mixed with a poor growing season has left Divians scrambling to find enough food to last them through winter.  It would be preferable to establish a trade agreement, but his advisor is right.  They have nothing to trade with.  And, in a kingdom filled with psychics and superstitious people, citizens will protest if he does nothing.  A king with black magic?  That alone will be enough to rile up his people and make them want to take action.  If he's being honest, Phil is a little bit skeptical of this mysterious king as well.  A royal with no military alliances?  Maybe he has no alliances because nobody wants to become an ally with a corrupt leader.

    Phil sighs and sits on the ledge beside his window, his light blue cloak hanging down to the floor.  His magic, a similar colour to that of his cloak, swirls around his fingers and warms his hands.  They had become slightly clammy at the idea of attacking another kingdom, and his magic helps to get rid of that cold, uncomfortable feeling.

    He takes a deep breath and leaves the room, needing some fresh air to clear his mind.