The doctor stopped just as she'd reached for the door handle. She turned to me, her face the definition of professional as she evenly said:

"The next person who comes to examine you."

"There's more of this shit?" I jumped from my seat and headed her way. "I've been here for hours, I've had several vials of blood drawn, gave you a urine sample, got interviewed by two - two! - of you... And there's more?"

"The first person was a nurse who took your basic information. I am a doctor who did a more thorough examination and who prefers to talk to her patients in order to make sure that their records are correct. This new person who is coming is a Gifted and can read your energy. They can conduct test that I'm unable to. Then they'll tell me what they've found, I'll add that to the results from our laboratory and my own observations of you, as well as that of whoever does your psychological profile..."

"A psychological..." I took in a deep breath and fisted my hands. "A psychological profile?" I asked through gritted teeth.

"We like to cover all of our options. This fever is too odd to be natural, but we are still going to examine you for diseases, it could have something to do with your mental health so we want that covered too, and it could be of a supernatural origin, thus the energy reader."

"And if none of you find anything?" I could feel a vein pulsing on my forehead. The serial killer was back and the Sentinels were wasting my time doing silly tests over something that might never happen again.

I was fine!

Or at least, fine enough. And I had a job to do. I needed to return to the precinct. I also had to tell Keri I was well so she could go home, because that gorgeous, stubborn woman had refused to leave the medical facility without me. She was out there, in one of these hallways, waiting for me.

"If we don't find anything, we'll just assign more tests until we discover what happened to you," the doctor calmly replied and exited the room, leaving me to seriously contemplate drinking the rubbing alcohol. There had to be some in one of these cabinets, right?

I leaned back in my chair, my head bumping against the wall

"Thanks again for doing this, Rhys!" I said into the phone.

"What are friends for?" He asked from the other end of the line. "Besides, I'm your Beta; I'm supposed to take care of the pack when you are not around."

I smiled. Even if that position had gone to someone else, Rhys wouldn't have been able to hold back and not help out. With me stuck at the Sentinel's medical facility while Callum went through who knew what tests while he put innocent lab techs and nurses through his grumpy mood, my childhood friend had taken charge over the Bullets. There were already strict security measures in place and I trusted him, but nevertheless, I couldn't restrain myself from checking how things were back home.