Chapter One

Third person's point of view.

Atem was in the curator's office of the Egyptian Museum, when they both heard a loud crash. Atem knew it could only mean one thing. rushing off with the Curator right behind her, she easily out ran him and got there first. Though not fast enough because the whole library was knocked over. Books having been knocked out of their shelf and the shelves themselves were also knocked over. 

Atem leapt over the shelves to get to Evelyn Carnahan the Librarian. She was shocked and looked racked. "Evelyn?" Atem called as she held the younger woman's shoulders. Blinking Evelynlooked at her and realized what had happened, "Hena! I didn't mean too!" she gasped out as the Curator showed up, "What... How...?" he gasped out as he climbed over the shelves. As he walked over the shelves he was already starting with his scolding.

"Oh, look at this! Sons of the pharaohs! Give me frogs! Flies! Locusts! Anything but you! Compared to you, the other plagues were a Joy!" He said waving his arms around. "I am so very sorry. It was an accident." she said almost on the verge of tears. "My girl, when Rameses destroyed Syria, that was an accident. You are a catastrophe!" he shouted. Atem stepped over to the shelves to try and salvage what was there to start lifting shelves.

While the Curator continued to scold Evelyn. Usually, she would step in but for something like this, Evelyn needed the scolding, accident or not. "Look at my library! Why do I put up with you?" he asked rhetorically, "Well, you put up with me because I can... I can read and write Ancient Egyptian, and I can... I can decipher hieroglyphics and hieratic, and, well, I am the only person within 1,000 Miles who knows how to properly code and catalog this library, that's why."

She sounded so proud of herself. "You could only code and catalog it because I was the one who filled it and organized it before you got here," Atem called as she started putting books and tomes on desks, the Curator pointed at Atem with a 'See-you're-point-isn't-valid' look on his face. "No, I put up with you because your father and mother were our finest patrons. That's why! Allah rest their souls." he said adding the last part as an after thought. 

"Now, I don't care how you do it, I don't care how long it takes, straighten up this meshiver!" he continued while pointing at her, Atem was already starting to shift the shelves up right when Evelyn walked off. "Evelyn?!" Atem called after her but she was distracted by something and Atem rolled her eyes. She would only do the heavy lifting Evelyn would have to put all the books back herself. 

With her enhanced strength, Atem was able to get the shelves back up, by the time she was off running again when Evelyn screamed. "By the gods, this girl is always in trouble," she said to herself before skidding to a stop near Evelyn who'd been scared by her brother Jonathan who was being an idiot. "Sorry Hena, I didn't mean to worry you again." she said while putting her torch in a holder on the coffin Jonathan sat laughing in, 

"Have you no respect for the dead?" Atem growled as she smacked Jonathan upside the head. "Of course, I do. But sometimes I'd rather like to join them." he said while setting the remains arm on the lip of the coffin and laying his own along the mummy's shoulders, "Well, I wish you would do it before you ruin my career the way you've ruined yours. Now, get out." Evelyn snapped while smacking Jonathan herself. 

"My dear, sweet baby sister." he started while tripping as he got out, "I'll have you know that, at this precise moment, my career is on a high note." he finished with a determined look on his face. "High note, ha! Jonathan, please, I'm really not in the mood for you." Evelyn said, "You two going to be okay if I leave you alone?" Atem asked and Evelyn nodded. Atem returned to the library and continued to right the heavy furniture. 

Knowing for a fact that Evelyn wouldn't be able to move it herself. She was barely alone ten minutes when the siblings came calling for her. "Hena! Hena! look at what Jonathan found!" Evelyn called skidding to a stop in front of the taller woman. Sighing Atem took the parchment held out to her and she opened it. The second she saw the glyphs and markings she knew what it was for. 

"Where did you find this?" she snapped at Jonathan. "On a dig down in Thebes." Atem could already tell he was lying. Because he wouldn't meet her eye and was always looking down at his feet. Sighing again she set it down on a bare space of table and smoothed it out carefully. She could already recognize the map's details and writing as her own, because she'd written it years ago for Seti I as a way to find the location of Hamunaptra.

"It's 3,000 years old, and should be handled with absolute care, take it to Dr. Bey, he'll know what to do," she said, Evelyn nodded. "But I suggest that you don't use the map at all, the city of Hamunaptra is dangerous," Atem added and the siblings looked to each other before looking back at her, she could already tell they weren't going to listen. Rolling her eyes again she decided that she'd go with them and keep them safe. 

"Come on you two," she said and they followed happily. 

***

Getting to the office of Dr. Bey, Evelyn explained what was going on as she handed over the map, "You see the cartouche there? It's the official Royal seal of Seti the First, I'm sure of it." she said as he held it up. "Perhaps." he mused, and Atem noticed the faint markings of the Medjai. Smirking she watched as Evelyn and Jonathan spoke about Seti and then when Dr. Bey held the map near an open flame, 

Atem saw her chance. Influencing the flames, it shot up six inches and almost three quarters of it were on fire. "Oh, my goodness! Look at that!" he gasped tossing the burning parchment away from himself. When Evelyn and Jonathan were trying to put it out, Atem leaned into Dr. Bey's ear, her hand on his shoulder, "Good work, young Medjai," she whispered. Hiding his shock, he turned to look at her as she straightened up.

It was then that he realized why she was so familiar, he'd seen images of her training the Medjai, he'd been told that thousands of years ago she served Seti I and is the reason the map exists, as well as the puzzle-box. He opened his mouth to say something but her finger over her mouth stopped him. "You've burnt it! It's almost completely gone." Jonathan whined, "It's for the best, I'm sure. Many men have wasted their lives in the foolish pursuit of Hamunaptra." he said.

"No one's ever found it. Most have never returned." Atem added from her spot near the bookshelf behind Dr. Bey. Looking back at the two siblings, she knew they were still going to go. Sighing softly she gave in, knowing she'd have to go with them.