21 - Sutterby Scout

Start from the beginning

Aaron was now wishing he hadn't started theorising out loud as he was in danger of conjuring up horrible thoughts in his companions' minds. But he had to carry on now he had started.

'Then wouldn't the impact be so great that we'd either hear the explosion, even over the noise of the train, or feel the aftershock? We're only a few miles away and surely we would have sensed it.'

'But we didn't!' said Billy.

'That's what I mean. We didn't notice anything and I bet we would have. So ... that could mean it never happened. At least not over York.'

'I hope you're right,' said Billy. 'I really do.'

'Me too,' sighed Marianne, softly.

'Me too,' said a gruff deep voice from above them.

The four teenagers yelped and withdrew further back against the walls as a lantern was thrust amongst them. It wasn't bright enough to fully illuminate the small area they occupied, but gave enough light for them to make out the owner of the voice. Standing over them was an elderly man. The guard.

'Sorry I didn't want to startle you. I'm sure you've had your fill from the air-raid.'

There was an awkward silence. The four were still taken aback from his arrival out of the darkness.

'Urm ... are you all right? No-one's hurt or anything?'

The guard looked at Billy.

'Sorry son. Back there. Forcing you on the train. It is standard procedure in the event of an air-raid and there was no time to explain. You do understand?'

Billy was a little sheepish.

'I guess so.'

Realising he wasn't getting much from this conversation he decided to carry on with his duties and to check the other passengers.

'Oh well ... I'd best carry on,' he said. 'By the way, there is an empty compartment back there. Three up. Unless, that is, you'd rather sit on the vestibule floor?'

'Thank you,' said Ellen. 'Are you all okay for us to move ... sit somewhere a bit more comfortable?'

Even in the dim light Ellen could see the others nod and so she got to her feet and the others followed.

'I'll walk you down there,' said the guard. 'After all, I have the lamp.'

'You do ... thank you,' Ellen said.

She grabbed the suitcase and they walked down the narrow corridor in single file following the guard. As they passed the compartments they could see the heads inside turn towards the lamp light with twinkling eyes. Some of the passengers were still in shock and weeping. Others were muttering. No doubt about what had happened and what was going on with the air-raid. Some, however, were silent. Stunned.

The guard slid open the door to the empty compartment and they all went inside. The suitcase was lifted onto the luggage rack and the four sat in pairs on the two padded benches. Facing each other.

Before Marianne could get comfortable she remembered a concern of hers and jumped to her feet again.

'Sorry ... sir. But my brother isn't supposed to be on this train. He needs to get off. He shouldn't be on board.'

'Sorry miss, but I can't let anyone off while there is an air-raid. My duty is to protect the train and the welfare of its passengers.'

'But he's not a passenger. He's not supposed to be on here.'

The guard held up his hand, suggesting he was not to be moved on this point.

'Miss, whilst he is on this train he is a passenger and therefore he is my responsibility.'