Chapter 5: Kimberley

Start from the beginning

“Lewis,” Logan says.  The man looks up and turns on a light.  The room had a walk way down the middle and opened up to a platform in the front.  On either side of the wall were computers or machines.  On the plat form wall was a huge screen with controls underneath it.  On the screen it had a picture of the western and eastern hemisphere.  

“Logan,” the man said walking towards spreading out is arms.  He was a little smaller then Logan, with a balled head and a tank top on with army pants and clunky brown boots.  “I was wondering when you were going to drop by.”  He smirks, suddenly his eyes fall on us.  “Hello, who are these young ladies?”  He crouches down at eye level. 

“Kimberley Carter, nice to meet you,” I say it in a serious tone; I’ve never said it that way before.  Ronnie steps in front of having the same serious look I had, “Ronnie Carter, I’m her sister.”  She has grown from last night; I guess the whole thing is coming to her senses as well.  We can’t be little kids anymore.  We’re soldiers in training and must act like it.  

“Well, welcome to the Outcast tribe.  I’m Lewis; I manage the technology department of this little operation.”  He looks up at Logan.  His expression changes from sweet to stern.  “New apprentices, I presume.”  His voice is now talking directly to Logan, like he’s angry at him.

“Yes and they will become powerful soldiers I’m sure of it.”  Logan snarls back at him.  Ronnie looks up at them and I eye them carefully as well, how they bicker back and forth.  What happened to his other apprentice?  

“You better make sure of it.  We wouldn’t want another accident to happen like last time.”  Logan clutches a fist, I put my hand on it and it seems to calm him down . . . only a little.  Lewis looks down at us again and he smiles sweetly, “If you will excuse me, I have some matters I have to attend.”  He stares back at Logan then walks back to the front of the room. 

Logan hesitates then walks back to the elevator.  He pushes a button and the elevator shoots up. I squeak a little then clutch my stomach trying to keep down my breakfast.

When the elevator comes to a stop, I am not as wobbly as before, but still a little woozy.  I straighten myself out.  The snow was coming down now but it was light a fluffy.  “Logan,” Ronnie starts.  Logan looks down at her.  “Why does everyone hate us?” 

Logan doesn’t say anything until we go back inside.  This time we are in the weapons area; guns, knives, swords, ammo, bows and arrows, axes, hatchets, spears, any type of weapon littered the wall.  Also there are backpacks, and medical supplies.  Logan sighs, “They don’t hate you guys.  They don’t think I’m capable of handling another young apprentice.”

“But you just said last night you had two apprentices.” I correct him.                                                      

“They’re 12 and 11, and going onto a next level of training, and they’re boys.”  He walks over to chair and sits down.  We follow and sit on the floor and lean forward eager for another story.  Logan just smiles like he usually does and smirks.  “Two years ago I had a little girl named Luka.  She was 10 when she died, but they blame me for her death.  She was becoming a strong soldier and could even beat Blake.”  I shudder at the name.