18

When I woke up, I was awoken by Reed, his hands roughly shaking my shoulders. I gripped his wrist and could tell by the look on his face, we were still in square one. It was as if him cuddling me until I fell asleep had never even happened.

He was still the same rude Reed.

I rolled over onto my stomach and fell off the bed, landing on the hardwood floor. I grunted in pain as I sat up onto my knees, rubbing my elbows. "What? Why'd you wake me up?" I whined. He was currently sifting through my drawers, "Go get in the shower, we need to leave soon." He demanded and I frowned, standing up with help from the edge of my bed.

"Fine." I sighed, grabbing a towel and heading into my bathroom. I made sure I brought undergarments this time, but not clothes since Reed was taking his sweet time looking for what I should wear.

I got in after removing my clothes and washed my hair before I just stood there beneath the showerhead, letting the water hit my head as I watched it swirl down the drain. I did this a lot. I got in the shower and just stared into space, not thinking about anything for once. It was nice, relaxing.

I washed myself after I snapped out of the zone I was in, scrubbing my skin until it hurt a little. I rinsed the soapy bubbles off of me, turning off the water and yanking open the shower curtain. I grabbed a towel and dried myself as best as I could before I pulled on my bra and underwear. Then I just stood there, my towel wrapped around myself as I stared at the sink, wondering what to do now.

I opened the bathroom door, poking my head out to see Reed sitting on my bed, phone in hand. "Can you bring me my clothes?" I asked, and he glanced up for a split second before going back to his phone. He didn't answer and I sighed in annoyance, opening my door the rest of the way as I stepped out to grab my clothes. I grabbed the clothes off the end of my bed before retreating back into the bathroom and slipping on the clothes he'd picked out.

It was a simple pair of black jeggings and a long sleeved black crop top. I pulled my jeggings up, pulling my top down to cover my stomach more before I left the bathroom, remembering to flick off the light first. I dug through my closet for my converse before I found them and headed over to my dresser, pulling out a pair of white ankle cut socks. I pulled my socks on, having to shove Jack away every few seconds because he was currently trying to shove his face into my face.

"Move your big face, Jack!" I huffed, frowning at him. He just continued trying to lick me, his tail wagging and I paused, "Do you need to go potty?" I asked, unsure. He got more excited at the word potty and started jumping around, which let me know he did indeed need to go to the bathroom. I slipped on my other sock before standing up beside Reed and grabbing my shoes, picking up Cookie off the floor.

I headed downstairs and into the backyard, plopping onto the seat while the dogs went to the bathroom. I untied the laces and slipped my shoes on before leaning down, beginning to tie my shoes. 

When I finished, I stood up and tucked my hair behind my ear, waiting until both of the dogs were finished doing their business before picking up Cookie and bringing her back inside with Jack trotting behind me. I closed the backdoor and locked it, walking up to moms room to put Cookie in her cage. I stuck Jack into my room after forcing Reed out of my bedroom, then closed the door and joined Reed downstairs. 

He was waiting, rather impatiently, at the front door with a bored expression on his face as he swung his keys around his pointer finger. "Okay, let's go." I sighed, pushing him out the front door and locking it. I followed him over to his car and climbed in the passenger's seat while he started up the car.

He didn't even wait for me to have my seatbelt buckled before he took off down the street, driving like a madman. I smacked his bicep, "Stop driving so fast, you're going to kill us." I stated, and he barely glanced at me. "If I'm lucky, it'll be only you I kill." He said flatly, clenching his hands around the steering wheel. I bit the inside of my cheek and looked down at my lap, not responding.

"Lighten up, prude. I know what I'm doing." He sighed, pulling into the parking lot we usually parked in, which was a little ways away from school property. It was probably ten minutes to get there on foot, but I didn't mind. As long as we didn't get caught, I didn't really care how far away the school was.

"I'd really appreciate it if you'd stop calling me a prude, you know." I remarked, climbing out of the car at the same time as Reed. He tossed me my mask and I swiftly caught it, sniffling. "Are you...crying?" Reed asked awkwardly, trying to examine my cheeks in the minimal lighting there was.

I shot him a weird look and shook my head, "No." I denied. A pause between the two us happened before he said, "Why do you keep sniffling then?" He sounded hesitant, unsure and I rolled my eyes. "There's this thing people get called allergies, you know." I snort. "Oh, okay." He mumbled, and then the two of us were quiet.

The whole street was quiet, aside from the sounds of our footsteps hitting against the concrete sidewalk. I was thinking about last night, though, how I'd almost gotten us caught by getting my butt stuck in the window. I was scared it'd happen again, or something worse. Then I thought about the teachers. There was three of them, at least. There could've been more for all we knew.

I grabbed Reed's forearm, pulling him to a halt as I stared at the ground in thought. I then looked up at Reed, who was staring at me expectantly. My brows were furrowed, "You don't... You don't think they'd hire guards or something, right?" I ask, frowning. "After last night, they definitely know we've been here every night. Who's to say they won't hire some guards or something? Security, you know, to keep us from getting in or to catch us when we do?" I was a ball of nerves at the thought.

I really didn't want to get caught, but I knew the way our school worked. They'd take safety measures like those ones, I was sure of it. It was only a matter of when they'd do it that I wasn't sure of. 

"Look, okay, listen. If they have gotten guards within this one day, which I doubt, then we'll just avoid them or something. It's not a big deal, okay?" He sighs, shaking my hand off of his arm. I placed my hands on my head, gripping my hair in my fists, "Oh, god. If we get caught, we'll go to jail. Reed, I can't go to jail for this! I mean, really? This is what I go to jail for?!" I exclaimed. Reed looked unimpressed with me.

"Would you shut up?" He snaps, "You're not going to jail. Now get a grip and shut the fuck up. You're loud enough to wake the people in the next city over." He scoffs. I shake my head, "How would I explain to my mom? She'd be so mad at me. I-I.." I started stammering like an idiot, rubbing my face with my hands in worry. "Leila, seriously, be quiet. You're being the loudest person on the planet right now." He hisses. But I only continue rambling.

"Oh, God, I'll be just like my dad! I don't want to be like him, I hate him, Reed! I'll go to jail and then my mom will disown me and put me up for adoption! What then? I'll never see Cookie again, and I'll never see Jack again. I'll never see my brothers or my mom, especially not my mom because she'll never want to see me again. I'll just be left in my prison cell to rot away until I d-" I was mid rant, worry pouring out of me when Reed shoves me into a tree and covers my mouth.

"Shut. Up." He hisses, gripping my neck in his hand. I burst into tears and Reed flinches away like I just burned him, "Why are you crying?!" He snaps, still looking angry. I shake my head, tears rolling down my cheeks. "I-I don't know." I cry, "I think I'm going to start my period soon!" I wail, trying to wipe away my tears.

Reed looks both mortified and disgusted.

"You're not on it now, are you?!" He exclaims, glancing down at my crotch like it'll kill him. I shake my head, still pouring tears, "No! I..I don't think so." I mumble, and he stares at me for a second. "Well, check! I'm not doing it." He scoffs. I frown, "I'm not on it right now. I think I'm starting soon, though." I hiccup, my cheeks now free of tears.

"You're fucking weird." He mutters, rolling his eyes while I pull up my bottoms. I sniffle, this time from the tears, and set off beside him again. "Well, you're stupid." I mutter lamely. He rolls his eyes and shoots me the middle finger in response.