Chapter One: The New Troll

"Oh my goodness Poppy, thank you for everything you've done today. Oh, this is so exciting!" Bridgette said excitedly. King Gristle's birthday was coming up in a few days, and Bridgette wanted to throw him a birthday party, but with no experience with parties, she called upon her good friend Poppy to teach her.

"No big, Bridge, parties are my jam! and teaching a friend how to throw a party? I can't think of a better way to spend the day!" Poppy replied. She was sitting in the palm of Bridgette's hand while Bridgette walked her back home, it was getting dark.

The two were going past the Troll Tree, and Poppy was gazing up at the sky to admire the stars that would soon come out when her eyes wandered. She saw something move- a very small shift at the top of the tree. Bridgette was rambling about something, but as soon as Poppy got a better look at what had caused the movement, everything in her mind came to a halt.

"Bridgette, Bridgette wait, stop. Did you see that?" She asked, standing.

"See what? I didn't see anything." Her BFF replied.

"There was a troll in the Troll Tree," Poppy declared, "I didn't recognize them."

"Really? I thought only you were coming to Bergen Town today." Bridgette turned and looked up at the tree in confusion. Her eyes wandered each branch, but she didn't see any signs of a troll.

"I was, most trolls don't like coming here anyway," Poppy explained, "Oh, there they were again!" She pointed, and the troll immediately retracted from view, like a turtle to its shell. Bridgette gasped.

"So, the stories are true!" She whispered in bewilderment

"What stories?" Poppy asked, looking back at her friend's astonished face.

"The stories...of the Ghost Trolls!" Bridgette declared.

"Ghost Troll?" Poppy scoffed, "Please, there's no such thing as ghosts!"

"Poppy, you saw it with your own eyes! The stories say that after, like, five years of abandonment, the Troll Tree became haunted with the ghosts of trolls who had been eaten by the bergens. Unable to find their families, they stayed there and wandered. They're said to lack any color, and sometimes you can hear them sing their songs from deep inside the tree....no one really cares about it or takes the stories to heart but still, that was totally a ghost troll!" Poppy looked up at Bridgette, wide-eyed then shook her head.

"No Bridge, a troll with no color is an unhappy troll, not a ghost! You saw Branch when he first came to Bergen Town, and he didn't have any colors. You didn't jump to any conclusions like that with him."

Bridgette thought for a moment, "I mean, I guess that's true but, if I'm going to be honest that was because he was with you and the other trolls, so it wasn't very creepy."

"Yeah yeah, put me down, I'm going to investigate," Poppy said impatiently. Bridgette put her down reluctantly, and she ran up to the tree and started to climb, hopping from branch to branch with her hair until she reached the one where she saw the troll. Glancing around she spotted them- her- and she ran. Quickly, Poppy followed.

"Wait, I just want to talk to you!" She announced, but the troll kept going, back down into the tree and out of sight. The chase was took an impressive amount of time for the troll to finally be cornered, but just as Poppy was about to speak, she backed till she was pressed up against the wall she was cornered at, and started to run at Poppy. This startled her at first, until the troll did a front flip, using her hair as a pole vault to leap over Poppy's head. After gaining her wits, Poppy turned tail and ran until she was chased back out through a door in the bottom of the tree.