TWELVE: Losing no matter what

Start from the beginning

"Thanks guys," he sighed. The twins pulled back.

"Go get her," Ruff murmured. "Astrid is our friend as well but we want you both to be happy."

"But what about Berk?" Hiccup asked.

"Five years ago, who would have predicted we wouldn't be at war with the dragons and would instead be riding them?" Tuff asked him with surprising clarity. "Who knows what will happen next year or in five or ten or a hundred years? You are alive now and you have to decide what world you want to live in-and whether Astrid is in it or not."

"In it," Ruff added in a warning voice.

"So we will be disappointed if you go through with the ceremony tomorrow," Tuff added.

"I have to do what's right," Hiccup reminded them as they both broke out into smiles.

"Then we don't have anything to worry about!" Ruff said happily as the twin rose and began to clamber out of the roof hatch. "Sleep well!" And then the hatch slammed. Toothless opened a weary eye and rumbled a small query.

"Don't ask," Hiccup said tiredly. "As long as Snotlout isn't hiding under the bed, waiting to give me relationship advice..." He paused and bent down just to check. "No, we're okay. Get some rest. I think tomorrow is going to be trying..."

But as he lay on his hard bed, the blanket pulled up over his curled shape, sleep eluded him. All he could hear was a swirl of voices in his head, all telling him what to do. Faces swirled around in the darkness, dominated by the scowling face of his father, the most important person in his life, the person who had always been there with his son...the person he had always wanted to make proud of him.

He definitely wasn't proud of Hiccup now because of what he had done.

How can I make him more ashamed by refusing to do my duty?

Head pounding, the young man screwed his eyes closed. He knew what he had to do. And no matter what, Hiccup lost.

oOo

Gothi, the elder of Berk, was furious. Stoick, the thick-headed imbecile, had managed to ruin what she had been watching develop for the last four years or so, the blossoming of the perfect match between the brilliant, obsessive and self-doubting Heir and the practical, determined and loyal Shield Maiden. When Astrid had consulted her, Gothi hadn't even been shocked, just surprised it had taken the two so long. They were both poor at expressing their feelings and strong-willed so it had been frustrating that they had resisted their mutual attraction for so long. And she had been very exasperated that Astrid had run. Yet she knew her fellow Hooligans and they tended to gossip, accept the most extreme rumour and enjoy stirring up trouble...though they enjoyed a happy ending.

Yet the Bog Burglars didn't offer that. Gothi had even tried communicating with the Bog Elder and the Chief but they dismissed her assertions that she had seen the future in a vision-and it would only work if Hiccup had the blonde Shield Maiden at his side. So she had headed for one final attempt shortly after dawn and ended up outside the Guest House where the Bogs were staying.

And then she paused, listening to the Elder explaining what would happen and she heard Bertha's solid reply, agreeing to the plan. Wizened hand tightening furiously around her staff, Gothi spun and stomped away, her eyes narrowed. She was already planning how she could thwart them and ensure the vision was acknowledged and the Heir back with his rightful mate...

oOo

The village was abuzz as the next day dawned clear and bright. Villagers scurried back and forth, hastening to complete their daily chores so they could attend the ceremony that would bind their Heir to the Heir of the Bog Burglars-and while none of them were really enthusiastic for the match, Hooligans loved a bit of drama and, of course, the accompanying banquet. The Plaza and Great Hall were decorated with bunting echoing the colours of the Hooligans and the Bog Burglars and Bertha's crew were making sure everything was ready for their Heir.