Chapter 12: My Territory

Start from the beginning

Titus jumped. "Why do you always do that?" He wiped the dirt off.

"Because you deserve it." I finished putting on my shoes. "And we are not friends with benefits." Standing, I brushed off my pants.

Titus rolled his eyes. "Whatever."

I took out my new phone and checked the time. "My dad will be here soon. We better get going."

Titus threw his head back dramatically. "Your dad ruins everything."

I laughed at his pathetic display. "He's kind of being a responsible parent and taking me home."

Titus shrugged. "Still, he could give us a couple more hours."

"He might." I started walking down the trail to the campground.

"Really?" Titus jogged to my side.

"Yeah, but you'll have to ask him first."

Grabbing my wrist, Titus swung me around. He wrapped me up in his arms. "Why can't you?"

I squirmed a little. "Because, I'd have to tell him why." I looked off into the trees. "And I don't want to. Not yet."

Titus kissed the side of my head. "Take your time."

We walked along the path with our hands entwined behind Titus's back.

"I'm not going to be here Thursday."

"Why?" Titus frowned.

"Chris is back for a week before he heads off to the next thing he has going on, and he's having a party. My dad said I can have the day off in case Chris wanted to do something. I don't think he will. He hasn't even called me. I got a text about the party, and it wasn't even from him."

Titus squeezed my hand. "I don't like him."

"He's my friend, Titus. We've been friends since kindergarten."

"I still don't like him. After everything you've told me about him, the guy sounds like an ass."

I tried to pull my hand free but Titus wouldn't let go.

"Stop it." I pried at his fingers.

He yanked me to him. "Someone who would hate you for being who you are is not your friend."

"I'm still trying to figure out if this is who I am."

Titus let go and shoved his hands in his pocket. He started down the trail without me.

"You can come if you want."

He stopped and looked back at me.

"Chris never really knows all the people who go to his parties. Random people show up all the time. I could give you his address and you could come if you want."

"Do you really want a gay at your party?"

My shoulders sagged but I nodded. "I do. I want you there."

Titus smiled. "Alright. I'll go."

***

"How was your day?" asked my dad as soon as we pulled onto the paved road.

"Same old, same old." I continued to stare out the window.

"So are you ever going to tell me who that boy is I always see you with?"

"Hmm..." I glanced at him.

"The tall boy, he never sticks around long enough for you to introduce us."