11. Unnecessary Apologies

Start from the beginning

      Both girls looked startled, as if they'd done such a good job of being inconspicuous with their choice of topic. It wasn't like they kept glancing her way every once in a while, or that they chose to not include her in the conversation, like that wouldn't give it away immediately. Liz looked to Mia, while Mia looked to Liz, neither wanting to be the one to start the conversation that would most likely lead to other conversations.

      "This is about the party," Luna sighed, fingers becoming interested in a loose thread on her jeans. "You realize I wasn't blackout drunk, so I do remember everything that happened that night. Like Liz and Flash arguing in the middle of the kitchen, and Ned trying to start a dance battle with me." She leaned her head back against the lockers, head lolling to the side to glance at Mia. "I also remember our disgustingly personal conversation in the bathtub, Mia."

      Mia cringed slightly, a forced smile spreading across her lips. "Yeah... that's sorta what we were talking about." Luna shrugged, she'd guessed that already, because there was no way her friends were going to be able to move past that. "Did you... you know, mean it?"

      Luna's eyebrows knitted together in confusion, her expression showing one of offense. "Did I mean it?" Both girls nodded, confirming that it was the question they both wanted her to answer. "Okay, let me say something, then you guys can I ask me if I meant it. I'm not even fifteen yet, and this is the first boyfriend I've ever had, ever. I spent months pining after him, and then went out with a girl in an effort to get over him when I thought he didn't like me back. When we finally did start dating, I let him meet my family immediately, as did he with me. My brother literally has a nickname for him, they even fucking texts sometimes. On top of that, I was so overwhelmed with all the emotions I felt because of him, I got drunk off my ass at a very big party." Once again, the two wore their wide-eyed expression, the hungover Luna that'd been slumped against the lockers suddenly gone. "So, ask me again."

      "Did you mean it?" Liz repeated quietly.

      "Of fucking course," She mumbled, eyes looking past both girls to see two figures. "Speaking of..." She trailed off, both following her eyes to see the two boys speaking quietly at the end of the hall. Luna narrowed her eyes at the two, the conversation about Spider-Man the two had last night replaying in her head. "Gotta go."

      "Wait," Mia grabbed her wrist as Luna got to her feet, "Are you gonna tell him?"

      Luna rose her eyebrows at the girl. "You think I'm gonna tell him with the state of our relationship right now? I'm gonna wait." She bid the two girls farewell before jogging down the hall to reach the two boys, the two so invested in conversation that they didn't even hear her coming. "What's going on?"

      Both boys' heads shot up, Ned visibly relaxing at the sight of Luna, while Peter tensed up. Peter swallowed harshly as he took in the appearance of the girl, her appearance a very clear indication of what happened the previous night. He looked to Ned for assistance, but the boy simply shook his head, not wanting to involve himself. "Nothing?" Peter offered, not sounding sure of himself in the slightest.

      Luna rose an eyebrow, "You're serious?" When neither boy responded, she sighed. "I'm not stupid, I know something is going on. Peter, you disappeared last night, which I should be mad at you for, but I'm more curious than anything. Where the hell did you go?"

      Peter opened and closed his mouth multiple times, finding himself at a loss for words. Ned looked between the couple, noticing Luna's patience dissipitating with each second Peter spent trying to avoid the question. "Peter fought against guys with alien weapons again and almost got vaporized and got thrown in a lake!" Ned blurted in one breathe, Peter's eyes immediately widening.

      Luna could already feel her hands beginning to shake at the information she was just given, making her quickly intertwine them. She looked to Peter, hoping that Ned was just dramatizing the situation, but his stunned look didn't comfort her in the slightest. "I'm okay, though," Peter quickly rushed out, offering a weak smile.

      "Did you... did you get them?" She asked quietly, chewing on the inside of her cheek nervously.

      "No," He sighed, Luna's eyes widening. "But I'm gonna track them down, and then everything will be okay."

      Luna found herself shaking her head, Peter's face falling at her disagreement. "No, you can't. Peter, you already almost died because of them, what if something really bad happens to you?"

      "And other people could die if those weapons are still out there," He countered, eyebrows knitted in confusion.

      "Well, as selfish at it sounds, I don't give a shit about other people. I give a shit about you." His features softened as a vulnerable look settled on the girl across from him. "Can't you let someone else deal with this?" She inched towards him, lips tugging into a deep frown. "I don't want you getting hurt."

      "Luna, I'll be okay," He tried to reassure her.

      Luna shook her head again, eyes squeezing shut. "You don't get it." She let out a shaky sigh, hands curling into fists at her sides. "Because of whatever is going on between us, I can't be sure if you're okay every night like we used to do. And my anxiety, it can't handle it. The thought of you being somewhere hurt, and me not knowing about it, literally makes me want to crawl into a ball and bawl my eyes out. So maybe you don't care about how you end up after all of this, but I do." She quickly brought the heel of her hands to her eyes, already feeling tears pooling there as a result of being overwhelmed. "I-I need to go."

      She didn't get a chance to hear his response, as she rushed in the direction of the bathroom. His heart was thrashing in his chest, desperately wanting to follow the girl and comfort her like he'd done not too long ago. He swallowed harshly as he tore his eyes away from where Luna had ran, and to Ned, who'd been standing in silence.

      "That was..." Ned trailed off, unsure of the correct way to describe what just happened before him.

      "Yeah," Peter muttered, shoulders hanging low. "I know."