08. Delmars Destruction

Start from the beginning

"It's his birthday today," Victoria spoke suddenly, as the tv show went on commercial. "That's why I called out, I knew you wouldn't want to talk about you and Peter, you go to Diana about stuff like that."

"Who's birthday?" Luna asked, though she had a pretty good idea of who she was referring to.

"Your dad, Andres," Victoria sighed, suddenly very interested in one of the pillows. "You were too young to remember, but he left the night of his birthday."

"I remember," Luna mumbled, Victoria turning to her with a frown. "I remember him putting me to bed after I forced him to watch High School Musical with me, and I remember waking up to go get him just to find him and his stuff gone. I wish I didn't remember... but I do."

Before the talk could be taken any further, the front door was thrown open, both women jumping at the sound. Andrew ran into the living room, jumping over the couch in a scramble to get the remote. "Something happened at Delmars," He choked out as he quickly changed the channel.

Luna perked up at this, she'd go there after school with Mia and Liz all the time. Andrew eventually found the channel, and Luna's eyes widened as pictures of the scene popped up on the screen. "Oh god," She breathed, Andrew turning up the volume.

"–The beloved institution Delmars sandwiches was destroyed in an explosion earlier tonight after an ATM robbery was thwarted by Queens own colorful local crime stopper, the Spider-Man." Luna's blood ran cold, all coloring being drained from her face as the sentence was spoken.

The more she stared at the screen, and the damages caused to the two buildings, the more her vision became blurry. "Little?" Luna couldn't respond to her brother saying her name, simply shaking her head as she stood from the couch. She didn't answer the two as they questioned her, just running up the stairs to reach her phone.

She let out a shaky sigh as she leant against her closed door, eyes squeezing shut. "Nothing happened to him, nothing happened to him, nothing happened to him," She repeated to herself, heart beating quickly in her chest. It just had to be when they were fighting and he couldn't come to see her that he had to do something that could have gotten him killed. Locking the door, she made her way across the room and to her phone. She hesitated over Peter's contact, unsure of wether or not to call.

Making the last minute decision to call Ned instead, she sat herself on her bed, tucking her hand beneath her thigh to stop the shaking. "Hello? Luna?"

"Hey, um," She cleared her throat, trying to make it seem like she wasn't seconds away from bursting into tears for the second time that day, "have you... gotten a hold of Peter? Because-"

She was cut off by a gasp, her eyes widening in alarm. "You saw the news!"

Luna went stiff. "...What?"

"Peter's fine," He finally answered her question, making her relax slightly. "Yeah, I saw him coming in through the window. I was just watching the news too! Pretty awesome, isn't it?"

"Ned, what are you talking about?"

"That Peter is Spider-Man, obviously. He told me that you knew, which was obvious, because why wouldn't you know? Hey, how did you keep it a secret for so long? I mean, I told Peter I wouldn't tell, but it's gonna be so hard. This is pretty much the coolest thing that's ever happened to me."