Chapter One

- Four years after the War of the Ring - 

F.A 2, February 1st

His fingers tapped impatiently on the smooth wooden table as one of the city nobles blathered on about how the tax increase would put a strain on his coffers. He was the fifth noble of Minas Tirith to object to the tax and Aragorn was beginning to lose his patience with them.

Faramir sat to Aragorn's left looking just as annoyed as his king. "Lord Dalion, the tax is necessary to pay for the new gate that had been commissioned," said Faramir, butting in.

"Pray tell why we need a new gate if we are at peace," rebutted Dalion evenly.

"The Easterlings and Haradrim are still a problem that we have yet to fully address," Faramir replied tersely. "The gate we have is nowhere near the craftsmanship of our forebears, and the Dwarves of Aglarond have offered to build one that would rival anything else they have made."

Lord Dalion dabbed the corners of his mouth and sniffed. "I don't see why we should have to pay such a high price. They should do it for free."

A few of the other lords who agreed with Dalion on the tax nodded their approval. They were in the minority for now, but Aragorn knew the subtle politics that were at play here, and how quickly they could change...for the right price.

Faramir looked at Lord Dalion coldly. "Nothing is ever free, not even the freedom you so enjoy."

Aragorn knew precisely what Faramir was getting at. He'd lost his brother and his father during the War and had almost his own life as well.

"A freedom that was almost lost because of our former Steward," replied Dalion sharply.

Anger flashed across Faramir's face, and Aragorn stood, barely hiding his contempt for the lord. "You would do well to remember your place at this table, Lord Dalion," said Aragorn slowly. "I will not tolerate such disrespect in my council chambers. You will apologize to Lord Faramir, and you will do it now."

Aragorn's tone left no room for argument.

Dalion's face turned red, and he looked as if he would burst from not only the embarrassment of having to apologize in front of his supporters but the fact he had to do it to Faramir. He attempted to put on a stoic face as he said, "I am sorry, my lord. I spoke rashly and insensitively." His voice was tight and controlled.

Aragorn looked at Faramir. "Is this acceptable?"

Faramir nodded to his king and the drilled Dalion with an icy glare. "It is acceptable.

"I declare this meeting adjourned," said Aragorn, still standing. "I shall think on all sides of this matter before I decide what is best for our kingdom."

The council members rose, quickly bowed, and shuffled out of the room, leaving Faramir and Aragorn alone.

"I think that went well," said Faramir dryly, breaking the silence.

Aragorn gave a wry smile and chuckled softly.

Faramir smiled back. "In truth, there were more members in favor of the tax than against it. That's a small victory."

Aragorn clasped his hands behind his back and began to slowly pace around the table. "Four years I have been king, Faramir, and every step of the way I've had to fight for my kingdom.

"I thought the fighting would be done after the War, that there would be such peace between the peoples of Middle-Earth to be worthy of writing about." Aragorn stopped before his friend, his face grave. "Something festers in the hearts of the people that cannot be fought with sword or bow."