01. | beaumont close

[ one. ]
CHAPTER ONE - THIRD PERSON;
AVONLEA, PRINCE EDWARD ISLAND
APRIL 14th, 1879

     ON THE NORTHERN SHORE of the province, lies a tiny village surrounded by fields of ethereal green and golden wheat

ON THE NORTHERN SHORE of the province, lies a tiny village surrounded by fields of ethereal green and golden wheat. Here, the trees sway rhythmically in unison with the wind. Narrow streets intertwine within the village, and rocky pathways lead out of it.

As Kathleen rides into Avonlea for the very first time on one of these rocky paths -eyes wide with adoration- and with the Caulfield's escort at her side, the sun begins to set into the horizon.

The brunette takes her time in admiring the landscape arround her; house gates adorned with roses and vines, animals grazing on private farmland, tulips unpicked from their roots in contrast to being sold in flower shops back at Saint John. She closes her eyes and lets the fresh spring air fill her lungs, orange rays of the sun making her skin appear as if it glowing. This is nothing like the city. This time, she is riding inside a coach instead of on top of a delivery cart.

"I will say it again, miss, you have no idea exactly how grateful I am to have been taken in by them. They seem as if they are wonderful people with loving hearts- and Mrs. Caulfield once knew my father before he..." Kathleen happily tells the woman beside her, though failing to complete the statement. "Nevermind that, but I am rather surprised they asked an escort to fetch me." She had been imagining the situation in her head on the ferry ride to the island, wherein Mrs. Caulfield would be the one to call out her name. Instead, an unfamiliar stranger did.

"Do not be surprised. You weren't expecting Genevieve to actually be there, right?" The escort, who the brunette assumes is in her late teen years, replies.

Genevieve, Kathleen thinks. That must be Mrs. Caulfield's first name. She then lets the escort's words register in her mind moments later, and frowns. Would it always be like this? Would the Caulfields always be too busy? Even just to fetch her? Perhaps today is just an inconvient time.

Luckily, the escort notices the young girl's change in mood, and quickly attempts to brighten up the situation. There are still a few more turns before reaching the Caulfield household.

"They are kind people, though. Don't you worry. However, you must be careful. Residents here are very quick to judge a new face, and the Caulfields are very meticulous with their reputation." The words make Kathleen nervous, for she knows she could never live up to their expectations. She's always been a fish out of water.

"Class-conscious, then?"

"I suppose so. The village loves them, as well as the Barrys." Kathleen nods, despite having no idea who the Barry family are. "Be sure to make a good first impression. They have two other children, who they believe they are raising correctly," the escort adds. The young girl looks at the daisies she'd picked earlier on, twirling them between her fingertips and placing one behind her ear.