Remember Me

"Who are you?" 

Tony was taken aback by what Steve had just said. He pulled away his hand that was resting on the bed. He looked down and then back at Steve's confused expression. Tony felt the tears coming but held them in. "Steve... it's... it's me." He said with a trembling voice. Steve still looked completely confused. "Who did you say you were?" Tony just rubbed his hand across his forehead and took a deep sigh. "This can't happen." Tony mumbled. "Um, what can't happen? What's going on?" Steve replied looking at him. Tony just stood up, "Stay here." He said before walking out

"Banner!?" Tony shouted through the hallways in panic. Bruce, hearing Tony, jogged through the hallway. "What! What is it?" Tony looked down at the ground and back at Banner. "It's Steve." His voice was shaky and some tears emerged, rolling down his cheeks. Bruce nodded and they quickly went to Steve's hospital room. When they entered, Bruce noticed how confused Steve was. He was frequently glancing around the room wondering where he was. When they had entered the room, Steve had looked at them with a puzzled face. Bruce walked over to Steve, checking his pulse and blood pressure. "I'll take another X-ray of his brain. I fear I already know the diagnosis." He said glancing back up at Tony. Tony was crossing his arms and biting his nails.

------

Around an hour later, Tony was sitting in the chair next to Steve's bed, trying to explain who he was. Bruce hadn't returned from the lab yet. 

"Steve, how can you not remember me, the memories we have, everything that's ever happened?" Tony said looking at Steve. The confused expression on Steve's face softened. Tony thought for a split moment that maybe Steve had remembered. Steve's face formed into a look of forgiveness before slowly shaking his head. "I'm sorry. I don't. I don't know where I even am." Tony just looked down and a few tears dripped to the ground. "What is the last thing you remember, Steven?" He asked looking back up into Steve's eyes. "I.. I remember waking up and knowing that I've been asleep for around 70 years. I don't remember anything after that." Steve said continuing to stare at Tony. 

Bruce suddenly peeped the door open. Tony and Steve both looked up. "Stark, may I talk to you for a moment?" Bruce said. Tony stood up and followed Banner out. "Stark?" Steve said to himself as the door closed. "Like Howard Stark?" 

"I've got the diagnosis. You aren't going to like it, but Steve's memory is extremely damaged. He has a strong case of amnesia. There is no telling whether he will ever recollect the memories he has lost." Bruce said as they stood in the hallway. Tony just lifted his arm up and rubbed his forehead again. "So he will never remember me or anything?" Tony asked wiping at his eyes. "It's unclear to how much he will remember when he recovers. I'm sorry." Banner said holding his clipboard. "How long before he can go home?" Tony asked leaning up against the wall. "Well as far as I'm concerned, he's fine to take home, he will just have no idea what's going on." Tony nodded and walked back in the room. 

When he walked in, he saw that Steve had sat up and had taken off the IV that was hooked onto him. "Steve. I will explain everything to you when we get home." Steve looked up at him, "Where's home. Do we live together?" Tony just hid the pain with a slight smile, "Yes we do. We've been together for almost nine months now Steve." Steve stood up. "Here." Tony said handing Steve his clothes. Steve took them and nodded a thanks. "So... we are like.. gay?" Steve asked confused. This truly broke Tony's heart. "Yes." He simply nodded.

Steve didn't want to change in front of Tony. "Well um, you can wait out there while I change and then we can go I guess." He said. "Oh. Right." Tony said trying to smile and walked out. He couldn't believe this, Steve was even afraid to change in front of him. The door opened and Steve walked out in his jeans and a white shirt. He smiled at Tony and they left.

All Tony could think about was what if Steve didn't love him anymore. What if he wanted nothing to do with him. They were going to have to fall in love all over again if Steve never remembered. As they drove through traffic, Steve was looking out the window at everything they passed. "This is a lot different from my time. But I don't know why it looks familiar." Tony had faith that Steve would remember. "It probably looks familiar because you see it almost every day." Tony said turning to Steve. Steve just threw him a confused glance. 

When they arrived at Tony's house, Steve opened his mouth in amazement. "Do we live here?" He asked with a smile. A smile crept along Tony's face as Steve said that, "He said we." He thought. He just let out a small laugh, mixed with a sigh, and nodded. "Yeah. You love it here." He said turning to Steve. Steve just held a stare at Tony for a few moments with a smile. They got out of the car and Tony led Steve inside. As he walked into the kitchen to grab a beer, Steve walked around the house looking around. Tony followed him with the beer in his hand. "This is amazing. I can't believe we live here!" Steve said looking at their living room. Tony basically started to give Steve a whole tour of the house.

When they entered their bedroom Steve peered inside. "We sleep in there." Tony said taking a drink. Steve gave Tony a confused and awkward glance. "Um, so like, have we, um, ya know, have we done it?" He asked scratching his head. Tony turned and looked at Steve. "Yeah. Lots." Tony just gave him a smile and winked and Steve nodded. "I just wish I could remember all of this." Steve said looking down. "You will." Tony replied in a hopeful voice.

Tony decided not to show Steve the whole Iron Man stuff in the basement- one thing at a time. There was a lot of things that Tony needed to explain to Steve. They returned to the living room and both sat on the couch. They didn't sit close like they usually did. 

"I will explain everything to you and what happened." Tony said turning to him putting down the beer on the table. "But first, does anything you see feel familiar to you? That could help you remember. You have amnesia." Steve just looked down and then back to Tony. "Well some things do look familiar- like our bedroom. And, being honest," Steve started to blush a little, "I am extremely attracted to you. I can feel like we are together, if that makes any sense." He said trying to make sense of how he felt. Tony just hid a smile, he would remember. After that, Tony explained everything to Steve about Nigel and everything that had happened. Then, he explained everything about SHIELD and Howard Stark and then began the Iron Man topic.

----

When Tony had explained everything, Steve sat on the couch taking everything in. He slowly nodded. 

After Steve had asked all the questions and seemed to understand, Tony had showed him the Iron Man suits and Steve thought it was simply amazing. Tony was so glad that Steve actually liked Tony. He felt as if it was a start of the remembering process.

Things were finally looking up.