*Chapter 8: Stalling Sisters

(IMPORTANT A/N AT THE END! PLEASE READ!)

Lucy

When your little sister knocks on your door, and in a very small, humble voice asks you if you can give them some advice, you know something’s not right.

Simone is one of the louder girls in the sophomore class. Her voice is one you could pick out at a pep rally once she starts singing the school song or yelling that our school is the best in the state, even on the other side of the gym. So, when her voice slipped under the crack of the door in a way I hadn’t heard it since preschool, maybe, I knew I had to let her in.

I looked down at my guitar and sighed. I hadn’t strummed a single string on it. I had planned to practice for an hour a day, but I already knew it wasn’t going to work out so well. I hadn’t practiced at all so far this trip. I was so behind. I quickly set it down and went to the door, opening it up.

Simone stood there, waiting for me. Her brown hair framed her face in a way that made her look at least two years younger. She chewed on her lower lip, her right hand still formed in a fist from knocking only a few moments earlier.

“Si?” I asked softly. “Si, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing,” she answered, looking up at me. “I just want some advice.”

“Okay. Come on in,” I said and step aside for her to enter. She quickly came in and sat on my bed next to my guitar. “Were you gonna practice?” she asked. “I can come back later,” she added.

I quickly shook my head. “Its fine,” I assured her as I sat on the bed beside her. “What’s wrong?” I asked again.

“Nothing, I just want some advice,” she repeated.

Only then did it occur to me that she really did want my advice, or maybe just someone’s advice, period. “Okay,” I said softly. “What about?”

“Love, crushes, stuff like that.”

If I had a glass of water, I probably would have done a spit take. She wanted my advice on love? Mine? “Why are you asking me?”

“Because of you and Niall,” she reasoned.

“I denied my feelings for three months. How am I a good person to ask about this?” I inquired.

“Because you know when you’re really crushing on each other,” she reasoned.

“And Courtney doesn’t?” I asked, confused. “Or Lizzie or Ana? They’re actually in relationships with people. Or what about Kelly? She knows about the twists and turns of relationships,” I pointed out.

I saw Simone chew on her lip. “Well,” she begins, “I kinda don’t want advice from a person who still hasn’t changed her relationship status from It’s Complicated. It’s a little off-putting, if you ask me.”