Prologue II: Partings

Author's Corner:
Sorry for the late update! My internet was moving at the speed of a sloth.
Enjoy!
_____________________________________

I had a fiance.

Please look closely at the word "had".

Although my sense of aesthetics was lacking in every part, I could still understand that by the public's standards, he was a very beautiful man.

Golden hair that shimmered in sunlight.

Blue eyes as blue as the sky.

A charming smile of flashing radiance.

If he was a person with only looks for show, maybe the number of secret admirers would plummet.

Fortunately for him, he was talented, with a righteous personality, having the honor of being a noble's son, and being praised to the high heavens of his talent with the sword.
Honestly, he was the kingdom's idol.

His name was Lor Blademark.

Lor had a fiance.

It was yours truly, the noble daughter of the vice-general, Lucille Noel.

I, who had black hair and crimson eyes, can be said to be his devilish counterpart in appearance.

I did not match him, or so they say.

For example, while I was reading a book in the library, a conversation between two maidens took place behind me, unaware of my presence due to my convenient disguise.

"Lor-sama's fiance is truly unsuitable for him! Why were they paired in the first place?"

"The vice-general must have used some underhanded means to pull them together."

"How despicable! They do not deserve to be nobles!"

It seems like I'm really notoriously hated by his admirers, to the point where they are beginning to drag my paternal parent into this. Don't they have anything better to do than gossip?

Honestly, it's no wonder that the nobles have such brainless daughters.

They're so busy worrying about others rather than themselves.

Tsk. Tsk. Not that it's any of my business.

_______________________________________

"Otou-sama. Okaa-sama. Was it truly alright for me to be engaged with Lor-sama?" As I leisurely ate my dinner, I threw them a question that was truly unlike me.

Father dropped his spoon and raised his eyebrows in astonishment.

Mother on the other hand was calling for a doctor.

"I'm not sick."

"Are you sure, dear?" Mother worriedly asked.

"Yes. I'm not sick."

Why are my parents so startled?

Obviously because I've never engaged in this sort of thing. Romance was truly not my specialty. But did they really have to show such an exaggerated reaction?

Father sighed and picked up his spoon once more.

"Honestly, we thought it was a joke. Why would the Blademark household propose an engagement between us in the first place? Considering your lack of feminine appeal as proof, we didn't think you would grow out of your tomboyish actions so we were going to refuse. After all, they had a higher rank than the Noel Family."

Mother joined in the conversation.

"However, since we were worried that no partner would accept your manly nature, we agreed in the end."