Chapter 1: Collision

Karen left the school tired and a little angry- she had left her umbrella at home again and it was raining again for the fourth consecutive day.

Once more she was obliged to leave her portfolio at White River School. There was no way she was going to risk getting it drenched because she would have a lot of work to repeat if that happened.

Turning up her collar, she ducked her head and with a sigh walked into the torrent. Her pace was brisk and she was focused on reaching her destination, mentally making a note of all the things she would have to do before her next class.

There was the marking scheme to take care of and the theoretical outline for the senior citizens' lesson. Once she finished those two things, she would be able to search for models for her advanced class. Those interviews would take a while all on their own!

These were the thoughts going through her head as she made her way away from the school. The sun was setting behind the grey clouds that had decided to grace the moment with heavy precipitation and Karen probably wasn't the only person cursing the change of weather as other people rushed across the street from their offices to their cars.

Jay couldn't have cared less about the meteorological course of the evening. He loved the rain. He had no lovely memories of rainy days about which to wistfully reminisce and that was just fine with him. In fact, it rather suited his mood, this weather.

He watched the motion outside his car- people running back and forth, some with umbrellas and raincoats, some without. The traffic light before him was red and cars passed in front of his, but he only paid them minimal attention. Only a silver sports car caught his eye as it crossed.

"Late amber," he muttered, as the traffic lights turned green for him soon after. He stepped on the gas just as a flash of white and orange entered his field of vision.

Jay cursed braked and acknowledged the sound of metal on metal behind him- and the mild thud against the front of his truck- all at the same time.

Before he could even get to the form huddled on the pavement in front of his massive vehicle, someone grabbed his jacket.

Automatically, he tensed, sensing the aggression behind the action.

Turning around he came face to face with a stout guy with thin hair and a ready sneer.

"Hey pal," the balding man hollered, shaking his jacket a little. "Did you forget how to-?"

Before the belligerent fellow could go any further, Jay fished out a business card and said, "Call me tomorrow and we'll work out the insurance-" his lip turned up slightly in contempt before he added, "pal."

Clearly unaffected by the pelting rain hitting his face, the owner of the Ram kept on towards the still form now surrounded by a few concerned onlookers. The shorter, much balder man realised he had no choice but to get back in his car and drive off. No one would pay attention to him with an injured person on the scene.

Karen tried to assure the sweet old man that the umbrella was the last thing she needed. She didn't get very far before another man crouched beside him and asked, "Are you alright?"

"She looks alright," the old man supplied, "but she hasn't moved since you hit her."

Startled, Karen looked up with a bit more interest at the driver who had caused her predicament.

She managed to note that he was the absolute embodiment of the phrase 'worth the trouble'. My goodness, she thought, he's gorgeous! At least he's good looking... strong facial features, impressive physical proportions, beautifully tailored clothing and-